Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPF/SRS when using redirects

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

SPF/SRS when using redirects

I set up an SPF record for a domain I have at 123-reg and I've confirmed mail to my Plusnet/Force9 address bounces with 550 SPF Validation Failed if the server is not approved (but gets through if it is).

However if I send the message using an approved server to a Force9 address that redirects elsewhere, the redirect works but the envelope address isn't rewritten. To me that implies Plusnet haven't implemented SRS. Sad

David
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: SPF/SRS when using redirects

Very likelyRoll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

When you think about it, implementing SRS for the redirected outgoing mail isn't difficult. The REAL problem is that now you are responsible for handling any delivery failure from the destination, extracting the orginal sender from the (rewritten) return-path and passing the failure back to them. If you're not careful then, with a simple redirect/forward, the delivery failure is treated as any other message and redirected...looping foreverGrin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Wouldn't the bounce handling procedure of leaving Return-path empty ( <> ) cope with potential looping?

On Plusnet I've confirmed that the SPF check is also done for redirects so if SPF validation fails the message won't be redirected/forwarded. Thus any failure after forwarding shouldn't be SPF related.

David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Looks like you're right Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Wouldn't the bounce handling procedure of leaving Return-path empty ( <> ) cope with potential looping?

Possibly. I think the main problem is that without implementing SRS then the redirector/forwarder doesn't have to think about failures, they will go back to the original sender. With SRS they may have to do something.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@bobpullen wrote:

Looks like you're right Undecided

Oops!, pot, kettle and black come to mindWink

spraxyt
Resting Legend

As things stand Plusnet will redirect only if SPF validation passes. However if the next hop does an SPF check it will fail unless the envelope from address has been rewritten. Since Plusnet have implemented SPF they should also implement SRS (and handle bounces).

David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Looks like 'can open, worms all over the table!' to meGrin