Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPF Record

FIXED
PeterAJ
Hooked

SPF Record

Over the last year or so, whenever I send an email to a gmail.com address it bounces back with this message:
"To verify messages are authenticated, Google performs checks on messages sent to Gmail accounts. To improve email delivery, we recommend that you always set up SPF, DKIM, and DMARC for your domains

My domain is at CentralNic are they are saying:
Your domain westwinds.uk.com is on the nameservers below - you would need to speak with your mail provider for this domain (your MX entry points to mx.avasin.plus.net ) and once they have provided you with the correct SPF record to add into your zone you would do so through your nameserver provider. 

ns1.force9.net
ns2.force9.net.

My question to the Community is - How do I implement the advice I've been given. Please bear in mind I'm a novice in these matters. Many thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 398

Re: SPF Record

Start by reading through this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/Cannot-send-to-gmail-addresses/m-p/1934005#M44287 and then come back with questions

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterAJ
Hooked

Thanks MisterW

I've amended my email setting per "Mitigating email delivery failures (notably Gmail)" but emails to @gmail.com addresses still bounce back.

How can I check the new setting is correctly configured?

Or can I try something else?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@PeterAJ I checked here https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=mx%3awestwinds.uk.com&run=toolpage

Select SPF record lookup from the drop-down  and click

It's looks ok to me. I assume you are sending via the Plusnet servers relay.plus.net ?

When did you make the DNS change ,? The script to create the SPF record only runs every 6 hours , is it possible that it hadn't run when you tried sending to Gmail ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterAJ
Hooked

I actually use my Broadband Provider Zen Internet's outgoing server " mailhost.zen.co.uk ". Do you know how I can create an SPF Record we them please?

Many thanks.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 256

Try asking Zen?

John
PeterAJ
Hooked

Oh yes, thanks jab1 - I forgot to think!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Do you know how I can create an SPF Record we them please?

Basically , you can't! Theres no facility to create TXT records on a domain hosted by Plusnet. For a PN hosted domain you need to use relay.plus.net to send email.

Try asking Zen?

It won't help I'm afraid, whilst they will advise on the contents of the SPF record,  due to the above, there's no means to create it!

jab1
Legend

I understand that, @MisterW , but the OP's domain is hosted at CentalNic shouldn't he transfer his mail hosting to them, or am I being totally thick?😉

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

but the OP's domain is hosted at CentalNic

It may be registered at CentalMic BUT its hosted at PN. The nameservers are set to force9, indicating its hosted at PN. Some hosting providers will allow you to use other nameservers but PN doesn't, you must use the PN ones

shouldn't he transfer his mail hosting to them

I suspect CentalNic are only offereing a basic registration package, but yes, it probably would be better to move the hosting. It's certainly not a good idea to use an smtp server i.e Zen other than where the domain email is hosted.

jab1
Legend

Cheers - I'm being totally thick, then.😀

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@jab1 

No you are not being totally thick ... the information provided is very confusing.

The OP quite clearly suggests that the SMTP server in use is Plusnet's and all the advice given was in that context, including creating a SPF record.

Then this was dropped into the mix ...

@PeterAJ wrote:

I actually use my Broadband Provider Zen Internet's outgoing server " mailhost.zen.co.uk ".

So we seem to have...

• A domain name registered with Instra Corporation Pty Ltd
  • Using Plusnet's name server
  • Using Plusnet for inbound mail (MX = mx.avasin.plus.net)
  • Having SPF configured for Plusnet's SMTP servers
  • ... but apparently using the OP's broadband provider's (Zen) out going SMTP server

Such is clearly going to cause Gmail to grumble a great deal.

The reference to the OP's ISP being Zen does raise the question of the status of the use of the Plusnet email service - is this on a legacy (retained free email account) or is this still a live account over which broadband is provided at the same or another premises?

No John, you are not thick; looking at the information which has been disclosed in the evolving conversation,  I think that the scenario is somewhat unclear, regarding an issue which has been on going for a year or so.  I suspect that through that year there is useful history about changes which have not yet been shared.

PeterAJ
Hooked

Many thanks for all the helpful comments so far.

My Plusnet hosting is the free legacy one.

Have contacted Zen Internet with whom I have Broadband and I use their outgoing server for emails. Their response is:

" As we do not host the email we are unable to add the SPF record, we'd suggest speaking to PlusNet for assistance. It would also be worth using the PlusNet mail servers to send/receive emails."

I think it makes sense for me to move all my hosting, both domains and emails, to one provider. Perhaps they should be in the UK. My use is solely personal, no business use, and I would like to use a firm who are both free or low price and with a good reputation. Who would you recommend please?

jab1
Legend

Why not ask Zen what they would offer you?

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

I think it makes sense for me to move all my hosting, both domains and emails, to one provider. Perhaps they should be in the UK.

Take a look at Mythic beasts https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting , paid annually £20/yr for email only , £30 if you need web hosting as well. £7.20 domain registration