cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP server forgets mobile devices?

boomboomer
Dabbler

SMTP server forgets mobile devices?

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help with a recurring problem I've encountered please?
My android device is configured correctly with the plusnet account, server and password for my main account box. It works perfectly when connected to the router via wifi, and outside the home via my mobile network data connection - for a while.
The problem seems to occur when I've not sent any emails for a while when connected to home wifi, the smtp server seems to decline attempts to send emails via mobile network. If I return home, send one email on wifi, then disconnect and try the same on mobile data it then works fine.
Does the smtp server need regular authenticating via the router to keep accepting mobile emails?
Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: SMTP server forgets mobile devices?

Boomboomer,
Can you please clarify; is your problem related to sending or receiving?
If sending, what port have you chosen for the SMTP server configuration and have you configured the SMTP server to require authentication (non SSL) identical to the POP3 / IMAP settings?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

boomboomer
Dabbler

The problem is with sending only while connected to mobile data, emails arrive just fine. The port is 587 and the authentication is set as you describe.
Sending works fine usually, it just seems to stop after a period away from the home router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi,
I'd keep a record of when and where it does not work, date / time and network connectivity state.
Until Friday last, I had my SMTP severs configured on port 25 with authentication.  This always worked fine at home, generally ok at wifi spots and over mobile data networks.  However in some locations it did not.  It not working had a mixture of symptoms: no Internet connectivity at all (no 3G / edge service or no data service functioning over 3G); receive but not send email.
The latter symptom suggests that some provider's cells are not permitting access to other network's SMTP servers.  Clearly when you return to your home base it all works ok.  Keeping a record as I suggest will enable to to determine if the use is related to location / network.
On Thursday / Friday, I updated all of my SMTP configurations to use port 587, since which I have not had a connection problem, except on a guest wifi network which also blocked inbound mail.  I'm still watching.
In answer to your original question, no, such authentication refresh is not required / something that happens - there s nothing similar to windows cached authentication here.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.