cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP server blocking - HELP!

lyonacre

SMTP server blocking - HELP!

I have only recently started using Plusnet as my main broadband service and have found a problem that I cannot resolve, and Plusnet seem unable to grasp.
In the past I have always used a local SMTP server to send mail - as has the rest of my family - as we join many different networks and a localhost worked well. Now, at home, through the Plusnet service we can no longer use the local host as Plusnet has blocked SMTP access for any server using a dynamic IP address.
Has anyone got a way round this?
12 REPLIES 12
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: SMTP server blocking - HELP!

You can switch to a Static IP address for a fiver.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

1. Plusnet don't block access to SMTP servers.
2. Your IP will be marked as being part of a dynamic IP range. Some mail servers refuse to accept mail direct from dynamic IPs as this is a common way that spam is sent out.
3. Changing to a fixed IP won't change that, you'll still be in a range of IP numbers marked as dynamic, it's just it won't ever change.
4. The recommended solution is to set your server to relay all mail via relay.plus.net.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Can you elaborate on the problem? What SMTP server are you using? Does it support authentication and on what port?
Are you sure it is Plusnet doing the blocking?
Mathew
Computech2000
Dabbler

Lyonacre - I have a similar enquiry regarding an SBS2011 Server which I have set up linked to a domain name hosted by Go Daddy.  Apparently certain blocks of static IP & Dynamic IP addresses are blocked or blacklisted in order to control the flow of SPAM.
Although all of my DNS & MX records have been configured withGo Daddy they do not permit the direct use of  SMTP [Port 25] email traffic, which means it is necessary to look elsewhere. Go Daddy suggestedasking  your own ISP for a relay or sign up to a freelance company that provides email relays using a smarthost configuration.
You would think that this is a fairly simple question - Can I set a smarthost connection with my own ISP [Plusnet] or will I need run with a company called Socketlabs who provide for free 500 outgoing SMTP messages per month, anything over that a fee i applied.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to get this enquiry answered, so I do recognise your frustration,
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: jelv
1. Plusnet don't block access to SMTP servers.
2. Your IP will be marked as being part of a dynamic IP range. Some mail servers refuse to accept mail direct from dynamic IPs as this is a common way that spam is sent out.
3. Changing to a fixed IP won't change that, you'll still be in a range of IP numbers marked as dynamic, it's just it won't ever change.
4. The recommended solution is to set your server to relay all mail via relay.plus.net.

+1 on all the above points.
We don't block access to port 25.
@Computech2000, the answer to your question depends on the volume of email you'd be planning to relay via our servers?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Computech2000
Dabbler

Bob - Thanks for the reference to my query.
I run a small Sole Trader IT Support business from home and am currently implementing a Small Business Server 2011, both to run my own business, use as a training resource to study for the 70-169 MCTS exam in the hope that I will be able to market the same SBS setup to other of my small business customers.
Base on my current email traffic I do not anticipate sending out hundreds of messages on a monthly basis, just sufficient to deal with customer and supplier queries.
It would be nice to try setting up a smarthost using my own ISP (just moved from BT) rather that some unknown company like Socketlabs who are able to supply an FREE account with a maximum of 500 sent messages from my server.
If Plusnet will allow me to at least try out the relay.plus.net system I would be very grateful. If permitted I presume that I would use my existing Plusnet login information.
In the meantime thank you for your kind consideration.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

If you are sending less than 500 e-mails a month that really is nothing - really - and would fit comfortably inside any definition of personal use which is presumably what the Plusnet mail service is intended for.
To put it into perspective, a family of four sending only five e-mails a day each would come to 600 a month.
Mathew
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As Matthew's mentioned, there'd be no problems with that at all. Regardless of the volume, you're free to set the smart hosting up anyway. The restrictions our relay servers enforce are automated these days anyway.
Worst case scenario would be that you start encountering 4xx or 5xx SMTP rejections after sending a certain volume of mail. The volumes you're talking about shouldn't lead to this though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Computech2000
Dabbler

Thanks for the feedback Guys - I will try it for size and post the results in due course.
gaetanov

This looks like my problem. I have been using relay.plus.net for smtp mail sending from a web app I built but last week I got a message saying there was a daily restriction but didn't tell me what it was and today I now get:
The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code was 0x80040217. The server response was not available
I contacted Support but they said there was no smtp limits.
I have been using port 587 to date with no problems.
Any help out there?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: gaetanov
I contacted Support but they said there was no smtp limits.

That's not true.
There's a per email recipient limit of 250 and a per hour recipient limit of 1000. When you're sending from outside of the Plusnet network these limits will be much more aggressive.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team