Did you mean: 

SMTP problem in sending small e mail via relay.plus.net

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

SMTP problem in sending small e mail via relay.plus.net

Is there a server problem?
An e mail of 93kb size won't go, and get this error message:

The message could not be sent because its size exceeded the server's limit. You can use the option, located in Tools | Accounts | Properties | Advanced, to break messages into smaller parts. Subject 'Stocking Enquiry- Greenock', Account: '1 Tel', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '552 BKfC1i00F1MR7rk01KfDrm message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 552, Error Number: 0x800CCC6D

Mentions size & then spam or virus, so which is it?
It's a forward of an e mail with Stationery background; went OK via a Yahoo account though.
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: SMTP problem in sending small e mail via relay.plus.net

I got that one too and it was seen as spam by roundcube
Having only one error message is a bit silly IMO
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Always trust the 'Server Response' section over what the client has said. In this case the message was blocked as it looked spammy.
It seems that for some reason your mail client decided this was due to the size of the message.
bluewhale
Rising Star

why do we have spam detection on the SMTP servers?
they are clearly raising false positives, see my other post
can we switch off?
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Quote from: Ben
Always trust the 'Server Response' section over what the client has said. In this case the message was blocked as it looked spammy.
It seems that for some reason your mail client decided this was due to the size of the message.

That laptop uses good old Outlook Express Undecided
gofaster
Rising Star

Always trust the 'Server Response' section

But the server responded with 552 which is defined in the SMTP RFC as:
552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation
So the Clodmark system is not only rejecting perfectly legitimate emails but also abusing the return codes.
Clodmark needs sorting - never saw this with IronPort (did IronPort check outgoing email?)
bluewhale
Rising Star

seems like plusnet are on hols already which i don't blame them, hopefully get sorted next year.
Merry Christmas and Happy New year to you all  Cheesy Crazy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I spotted this response from Bob on the Roundcube board -
Quote from: Bob
Quote from: Woody
I have been trying the Roundcube out now for a few days, I tried to reply to an email this morning and I get the following error;
SMTP Error: [552] BmHq1i0011sg6PG01mHr67 message rejected due to spam or virus. If you believe this is in error please login to your portal or contact your ISP support team.

That's nothing to do with the new Webmail platform. It's because our outbound anti-spam appliances consider (probably the content) of the email to be spam.
Quote from: Woody
Using the old webmail I could reply without issue.

That's because the old Webmail has a local 'Exim' instance that accepts the message and hands it over to the outbound anti-spam appliances. If they then reject it, there's nothing in the old system to tell you this. It will just look as if the message has been sent (although it won't arrive at it's destination).
You'd get the same 552 error if you tried sending the email via a local email client like Outlook if you were sending via our servers.
<snipped>

My bold above.
I was totally surprised that this could happen.
Clearly this Cloudmark system false positives needs sorting as a number of people are obviously experiencing o/g mail being incorrectly rejected. Further more, not getting the 552 error (or any other error message) when using SM is really not acceptable. I shall now have to check whether any messages I've recently sent have all arrived at their destination.
Also IMHO I would consider then that the servers are not RFC compliant!!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Anotherone, Wen has any of PlusNet's systems been compliant out of the gate?    Huh