cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP mail not sending - Am I alone at the moment ?

FF99

SMTP mail not sending - Am I alone at the moment ?

Currently I am unable to send SMTP mail on a number of different devices.  It seems to be a password issue, although I can log into my webmail account OK using the password.  Is anyone else experiencing anything similar
17 REPLIES 17
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: SMTP mail not sending - Am I alone at the moment ?

Assuming I'm looking at the correct one, you've a non-subscription account anyway so you shouldn't be able to use authenticated SMTP in the first place? Huh
I've made some changes at this side regardless. Give it an hour or so and then shout up if you're still experiencing problems. I notice that you have recently changed your password which may have something to do with it.
Have you seen the repeated notices we've been sending you about your mailbox size by the way?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

FF99

Thanks for the quick response !
This was a subscription account originally and changed to a free dial-up 5 or 6 (?) years ago, and I have never had any problem using SMTP !  Smiley    I do also have a paid account with a similar (but slightly different) log-in name (which replaced the earlier account when I switched back to PlusNet after a time away).  However, I have always stuck to using this old account for all e-mail purposes.  I suppose I could use my paid account for the smtp log-in if needed, although that had not occurred to me as an option.
I did change my password a few days ago, but everything has worked seamlessly since the change until this hiccup occurred.  Hopefully you will have fixed it and that will solve that.  I did also raise a ticket.  If you have solved the problem I will try and cancel that, but the problem is still there at the moment  Sad
As I travel a lot and use multiple devices for collecting e-mail, I tend not to remove then from the server on collection so that they remain available to download onto all my devices.  As there are times when I am getting multiple e-mails with very large document attachments, there can be a build-up, but I always clear the mailbox after receiving the warnings. 
jim:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: FF99
I suppose I could use my paid account for the smtp log-in if needed, although that had not occurred to me as an option.

It is indeed an option and one that it's probably worth considering if what I've done doesn't work. Thanks for the explanation regarding the storage situation.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jimatliv

I cannot send any e-mails and get the following errors.
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'removed'. Subject 'test', Account: 'totalise', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 <valid e-mail address> recipient rejected - relay denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'totalise', Server: 'relay.plus.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
I am sending from my normal  e-mail account using relay.plus.net which has always worked fine. I have not changed any of my mail settings this end and have a hard wired ADSL connection to the internet.
There seem to have been problems like this before when I look through the User-group questions.
I would assume the problem is with your servers.
The follow up from the Ticket I raised suggested it is my e-mail providers problem (Totalise) but this is also part of the Plusnet group under the Madasafish banner.
I use the relay.plus.net server for sending one or two important work related e-mails so I'm stuck at the moment.
I have changed nothing at this end and the sending of e-mails has been fine for several years with the relay.plus.net server. There must be an issue at the Plusnet end.
Any ideas what I can do to resolve this?
Racalman
Grafter
Fixes: 1

You are not alone. I have been unable to send emails for two days now. Like you I have changed nothing at my end, but every message I send generates "  550 recipient rejected - relay denied".
Any suggestions please plusnet peeps?
Mike
AndyRamsholt

I am also having the same problems sending emails today (with no changes made to my email settings) when using Windows Live Mail (Windows 7). However I can send emails OK using Thunderbird (Windows 8.1) over the same PlusNet Broadband connection?
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I am getting the same problem with some addresses using Thunderbird 31.2.0 on PCLinuxOS. Same message - "An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  <xxx@yahoo.co.uk> recipient rejected - relay denied. Please check the message recipient xxx@yahoo.co.uk and try again." Ironically, incoming messages from the same addresses are accepted, but I can't reply.
One address is @yahoo.co.uk and the other is @hotmail.com. The user name has been changed to 'xxx' to protect the addressee.
Edit: and this one must take the biscuit:
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded:  <john@xxx.plus.com> recipient rejected - relay denied. Please check the message recipient john@xxx.plus.com and try again.
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

It seems if I send to a single recipient, the address is rejected. If I send to two or more the last address is reported as  rejected, though none gets delivered.
I hope this can be fixed soon, as it's a real pain not to be able to send mail.
jim:quote
Racalman
Grafter
Fixes: 1

KJP I'm getting the same responses here.
I use 3rd party email and non-authenticated SMTP and it has worked 100% since I opened my plusnet account ...
... until now.
Nothing has changed at my end so it has to be a system fault.
Mike
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@JKP,
Has this problem gone away since your gateway hop as discussed elsewhere?
@Racalman,
Is your IP address in the range 146.199.0.0?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro

Have you been given one of the new North American IP addresses? I have identified a problem with those and added it to http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130918.0.html. PN's SMTP server doesn't recognise people with those addresses as customers, so it refuses to relay their mail. You may also find if you click the link to the main PN site that you can't see it, because you get an Internal Server Errror. That's what happened to me.
@Towman, yes, getting a good old RIPE address fixed both problems. However, it seems the 146. addresses are very common now. I had to try three times before I was  given a non-ARIN address.
PS. Now I've identified the problem, I expect PN's engineers will get on to fixing it fairly quickly, so I reckon it'll all be working in the next few hours anyway.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry about this guys.
See here for the latest.
I suspect it will affect anybody assigned an IP from the 146.199.0.0/16 subnet.
We hope to have if fixed shortly.
In the interim, if you're having problems, try disconnecting/reconnecting which will assigne you a different IP address.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jimatliv

By doing a "What is my IP address" test (http://www.whatismyip.com/) I get the following results:-
IP Address  146.199.223.246
Proxy: No Proxy Detected
City: el segundo
State/Region: california
ISP: infonet services corporation
Seems very much like a US IP address issue....
Tried disconnect/reconnect to no avail. Just got a new  146.199.x..x address assigned.
Glad you are on the case Bob...
Regards Jim
AndyRamsholt

The explanation doesn't really explain why I could send using one email client/OS and not from another using the same internet connection (IP).
However, after using the 'switch on and off again approach', I can now send email from all my client/OS combinations.