cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP issue to TalkTalk mail server

jezz

SMTP issue to TalkTalk mail server

Since going live with Plusnet yesterday, having moved from BT Infinity, I can no longer send emails using my primary email address which is a Talktalk one. This worked fine when I was with BT, and I could use authenticated SMTP to smtp.talktalk.net quite happily so why doesn't it work with Plusnet.
It will be a major PITA if I can't get this to work.
Any ideas whats up.
6 REPLIES 6
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: SMTP issue to TalkTalk mail server

What error messages do you get? 
If you haven't changed any config it would suggest that Talk Talk are blocking access from your PN IP address.  Try changing your outgoing server to relay.plus.net and see if that works
Guides here:  http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/index.shtml
I use my own email server outside of the PN network and have no problems sending email btw...
jezz

Message is "The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net timed out."
I can send Plusnet emails ie using relay.plus.net without problems.
Plusnet does not support security so uses port 25; Talktalk uses STARTTLS and uses port 587.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: jezz
Plusnet does not support security so uses port 25; Talktalk uses STARTTLS and uses port 587.

Depends what you mean by "security".  PN does support authenticated SMTP on port 587, that though is not the same as SSL, which regrettably PN does not support.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should be able to send your TalkTalk emails using the Plusnet relay.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The quickest check is to try opening a telnet session to smtp.talktalk.net on port 25 and then on port 587 and see if you make contact.
Alternatively, as mentioned previously, just use relay.plus.net as your outgoing server for your Talk Talk address
jezz

I didnt realise that I can send Talktalk emails using relay.plus.net - I tried it and it works so problem solved.
I tried telnet to ports 25 and 587 on the talktalkt server but both sessions terminate immediately.
Thanks