cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP away from home

digital
Grafter

SMTP away from home

Once again I'm away from home (in Buenos Aires his time) and reduced to using webmail to send email because relay.force9.net refuses connections on either port 21 or port 587.
Is there a way around the problem?
7 REPLIES 7
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: SMTP away from home

You need to use SMTP authentication using port 587

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I've just tried remote connections and both ports are fine:
$ telnet relay.force9.net 25
Trying 212.159.8.104...
Connected to relay.force9.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 avasout02 smtp relay.force9.net
quit
221 avasout02 smtp closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.
$ telnet relay.force9.net 587
Trying 212.159.8.104...
Connected to relay.force9.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 avasout02 smtp relay.force9.net
quit
221 avasout02 smtp closing connection
Connection closed by foreign host.

Are you sure it's not a local issue? As MisterW says, 587 would likely be your best bet (and presumably you mistyped port 21 rather than 25?).
Mathew
digital
Grafter

Port 25 produces 'Login to server relay.force9.net failed', as does port 587.
Both using Thunderbird with 'Authentication method: Password, transmitted insecurely' and 'Connection security: None'.
[Later] I can Telnet into both ports.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

The server isn't refusing connections on those ports; it's the authentication that's failing. I'm not a user of PN's SMTP server so cannot advise further however a hunt through the forums should reveal the correct username/password combinations.
Edit: This might help with testing.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure about the force9 server but for the PN one you can EITHER use the main account/password i.e the ones used to login to the member centre OR a mailbox username/password i.e as used to login to webmail.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

digital
Grafter

Quote from: MJN
The server isn't refusing connections on those ports; it's the authentication that's failing. I'm not a user of PN's SMTP server so cannot advise further however a hunt through the forums should reveal the correct username/password combinations.
Edit: This might help with testing.

Thanks.
The username and password I'm using are both correct. I tried your link and authentication failed when I entered the password. Clearly, something odd is going on, so I've raised a ticket. Current response time is 50+ hours!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm convinced ( but can't prove it! ) that the PN anti spam systems sometimes reject connections from some ( suspect! ) networks even though you are authenticating.