cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Outgoing Mail Failure After Cancelling Broadband (Email Retained)

FIXED
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: SMTP Outgoing Mail Failure After Cancelling Broadband (Email Retained)

Hiya @grayhelm, thanks for getting in touch.

Since 2019, everyone has had access to 'relay.plus.net' as we no longer charge for email services (so only fair to provide this to the legacy free accounts too).

If it's not already, if you set up your Plusnet mail account and use 'relay.plus.net' for the outgoing server and ensure that you select 'requires authentication', you should be able to send mail.

You can also find further help on the settings here: https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Let us know how you get on!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@LaurenB  since @grayhelm s free mail account was setup some while ago, will they be affected by the problem outlined by @Gandalf  earlier ?

From what I can see the type of account we've changed you over to is what's known as the "PlusNet Residential Generic Services Product" which historically was a free account and doesn't allow you to use relay.plus.net unless you were you on a Plusnet broadband connection, and you had to pay £1.06 for a full "Plusnet Mail" account.

After we made all email only accounts free of charge on 1st September 2018 with no option to pay for it, we removed that restriction, but I wonder if there's a setting wrong somewhere in the backend system that's blocking access similar to that. As the easiest way to find out, I've changed your account type to "Plusnet Mail".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Potentially. It's a good shout, but we've already tried changing the account type to Plusnet Mail, and the system's not allowing us. If @grayhelm's not able to send e-mails after making sure it's setup OK, we can raise this with DBA (Database Analyst) as they may be able to see if the restriction's removed for their particular account type in the database. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
grayhelm

AWESOME!!!!
Works a treat. Thanks so much
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Potentially. It's a good shout, but we've already tried changing the account type to Plusnet Mail, and the system's not allowing us

Ah! Sorry, it wasnt obvious from Lauren's post that had already been tried.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Sorry @MisterW, I should have mentioned I'd got a colleague to try change it without success, sorry about that Smiley

Thanks for the update @grayhelm, I'm please it's working Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team