Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Error 535 using plusnet webmail

FIXED
t72bogie
Grafter

SMTP Error 535 using plusnet webmail

Hi

in the last few weeks I have been getting SMTP error 535 when using plusnet webmail. It was a little random and a few attempts, log in/out and it would eventually send. Now Im trying 10x or more and cant send email.

any idea on any settings that might have changed or what I can try ?

thanks

Mark

15 REPLIES 15
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: SMTP Error 535 using plusnet webmail

Hi @t72bogie

Thanks for getting in touch.

Could you confirm that this is happening directly from our webmail program (eg, the one that you access via https://webmail.plus.net/) rather than a mail client such as Outlook etc?

If you have a client installed does this issue replicate itself across both platforms?

Best wishes

Dave

t72bogie
Grafter

Hi dave

I only use the webmail on my laptop, just tried on a client on my phone and its not sending either, but no defined error message

thanks

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for confirming that, @t72bogie

Could you drop your username across via a PM and we'll take a look at this for you?

Best wishes

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Error 535 is a SMTP authentication error.

If this is being seen when using webmail, it somewhat suggests that webmail is receiving credential rejections from the SMTP server for your account.  Given that this is seen to be intermittent, I doubt that this is a password or email configuration problem.

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

t72bogie
Grafter

Thanks, yes thats what I thought. Its now no longer intermittent, have not been able to send mail for a few days now.

i continue to receive mail fine

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post, @t72bogie.

We're sorry to hear that this issue has gotten worse for you.

I've just raised this issue to our NetOps team for further investigation and would now expect an update within the next 3 working days. IIMH, it's usually a lot quicker than this but I have to advise the maximum timescale.

As soon as i receive a response I'll update this post.

t72bogie
Grafter

Something has changed, its started working overnight, I have sent a few emails successfully this morning 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

I'm glad to hear that you're able to send emails again now.

If you've made no changes then I'm unsure what fixed the issue as it looks like our engineers have come back to us advising that there were a very large amount of attempts to send mail using an incorrect password.

It's odd as you're using webmail and presumably logged in fine with your password. I'd recommend keeping an eye on it and it happens again we recommend to try resetting your password from the Madasafish portal Here.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
t72bogie
Grafter

Hi 

its stopped working again, same SMTP error. Im just using the webmail.

Tried to change password through the portal, but im not receiving the email  - can you help please?

thanks

Mark

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Mark,

The forgot password tool on the Madasafish portal seems to have intermittent issues.

Happy to call you back to change your password this side if you're free? Feel free to PM me your contact number

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
t72bogie
Grafter

Have sent you a PM - will try a password reset please

...does seem odd as the password is obviously working to login and receive mail.....

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK cool, I've seen the PM and I'll pick it up shortly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Cheers for your time on the phone Mark, fingers crossed the new password does the trick. Let us know though if this issue crops up again and we'll raise this back to our networks engineers for further investigation. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@t72bogie 

Pleased to hear that this issue appears to be fixed.  This is a really interesting webmail problem, so I've been discussing this with the support team - was the 535 error "qualified" with supplemental information, for example like...

"535 Too many SMTP auth failures. Please try again later."

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.