Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Auto configuration error

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

SMTP Auto configuration error

In the last few weeks I have needed to do a couple of PC rebuilds, involving Outlook 2016 and the basic (Outlook) Mail program in Win10.  I've been delighted to observe that Plusnet appear to have implemented auto-configuration ... just put in the email address and password and all by magic the email account is configured ... no need to know the server settings and fiddling around with configuration details.  Great!!!

Well no actually - it all looks fine until one attempts to SEND an email ... at which point it all goes pear-shaped.  The SMTP server identity is wrong and (I suggest) might be responsible for the policy violation issues we've seen of recent times.  See setting screen grab.

SMTP Server ID should be relay.plus.netSMTP Server ID should be relay.plus.net

...also being a pedant (!) for email client SMTP submission it should be port 587 not 25 which is for inter-MTA relay submission.

EDIT: Or as an after thought is this all just down to the MS email programs just trying to be overly smart and doing some smart guessing ... using the DNS MX details ... and presuming account login using the email address will work?

MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = mx.avasin.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: SMTP Auto configuration error

@Kelly@bobpullen

Are you able to comment please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

My guess would be it's the MS Mail trying to be too clever (and failing):smiley:

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Yep, we've not done anything in DNS to facilitate automatic discovery.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

To bypass the automatic setup in Outlook 2016 use control panel->mail->email accounts when setting up new accounts.