Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP Authentication failures

samo
Dabbler

SMTP Authentication failures

Hi

Out of the blue at least two of my mailboxes (I haven't yet tried them all) have failed due to SMTP authentication failures and the connection being refused.

With one mailbox I changed the password then after about 30-odd minutes it started working. The other mailbox was working perfectly last night but has failed this morning. I've changed the mailbox password but it still won't authenticate EVEN FROM WEBMAIL where I'm successfully logged into the mailbox with an SMTP error 535.

What's going on?

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: SMTP Authentication failures

Sorry to hear that.

Can you advise further what happens when you try to send an e-mail from webmail.plus.net?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
samo
Dabbler

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

From webmail.plus.net I could successfully sign into the mailbox but it failed to send an email with SMTP error 535.
I kept trying and after maybe 45 mins it sent successfully. From then on I could authenticate from my other devices and email client.

So, it's sorted out now but I still don't understand why it happened out of the blue.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @samo,

We are happy to hear that the issue is now resolved, unfortunately as the issue is still not on going it is hard to say what could have caused it.

Please keep an eye on it and get back to us if the issue reoccurs. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team