cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS2011 - Exchange & SmartHost Configuration

Computech2000
Dabbler

SBS2011 - Exchange & SmartHost Configuration

I am in the process of setting up a new Small Business Server 2011 to support my small business and have purchased a domain name from Go Daddy. I also have an existing domain name being hosted by 1&1.co.uk, but their setup is not really aimed at SBS users.
SBS2011 is supported by an agreement between Microsoft & Go Daddy, so much of the initial setting up including connecting the server to the Internet & Configuring a Public presence has been automatically completed using the various wizards that exist.
I have reached a position where I need to consider configuring a SmartHost in order that SMTP mail can seemlessly be sent from my SBS2011 without being blacklisted or blocked as spam. In order to assist with this I have setup an account with Socketlabs a mail on-demand company which provides a free account allowing for 500 outgoing messages to be sent from my server which should be ample for the time being.
However, before I go ahead with this SmartHost connection, Go Daddy state that my ISP may also provide the same Smarthost service for me as part of my broadband account.
If anyone [including Plusnet represtentatives monitoring the is forum] is able to assist in respect of this enquiry I would be very grateful to hear from you.
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: SBS2011 - Exchange & SmartHost Configuration

You should be able to set SBS to relay messages via relay.plus.net
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Computech2000
Dabbler

Thanks for your feedback Jelv - As a new customer with PlusNet I am stil finding my way around their features and benefits - Could you point me in the right direction for setting up relay.plus.net in order to test whether it will work with my system.
Thanks again for the advice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's a long time since I set anything like that up and that was on SBS 2003 (I think). I no longer work for that company. I think you need someone that knows SBS to advise you how to do it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)