cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running MAC Mail inYosemite and unable to receive any emails on my POP accounts

shandy

Running MAC Mail inYosemite and unable to receive any emails on my POP accounts

Web chat with Plusnet to help with this problem. Has been an issue for 3 weeks having to use web mail account to access my emails. Despite suggestion to make sure you untick SSL and have port set to 110 no joy.
Plus Net suggested it is an Apple issue. Spoken to Apple still no joy. Went back and tried account set up again. and found if you allow insecure authentication ( on advanced tab) it works - mails poured in. HOWEVER not happy that my password could be compromised - PLUSNET please advise what work are you carrying out to remedy this situation for Yosemite/Plusnet POP account users. I am sure I am not alone.
Thank you
Shandy
3 REPLIES 3
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Running MAC Mail inYosemite and unable to receive any emails on my POP accounts

Well SSL/TLS is on the way, though progress is slow. It's a long thread but SSL on IMAP/POP3/SMTP covers the present situation.
David
decomplexity
Rising Star

Re: Running MAC Mail inYosemite and unable to receive any emails on my POP accounts

'Tis a well-known problem in Yosemite. Apple in their wisdom assumed among other things that all client-server email traffic would be TLS-encrypted. Neither PN email password sending or PN email itself is currently encrypted.
TLS securely authenticates that the server is the desired mail server, that you are you, and then negotiates an encryption key to use for the session itself. The 'secure authentication - you are you' part of this process is the one which is essentially bypassed when you tell Apple Mail to 'allow insecure authentication' (the password is sent in plain text). The ensuing email session is not encrypted.
Apple also set the defaults for 'automatically set and maintain account settings' for both sending and for receiving (i.e. there are two settings) to be 'on', which can confuse anyone trying to amend settings when mail doesn't work (i.e. unless you unset these settings, you may not be able to change parameters you want to change).
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
shandy

I have been on holiday - hence delay in updating my situation
Email restored
Best solution to get email working is to go to advance tab
Set port to 110
Untick SSL
Set Authentication set by password
Tick box allow insecure authentication
All works now