cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router Log email rejected as spam

dgp
Rising Star

Router Log email rejected as spam

I have set up my NETGEAR router to send me hourly emails of its log. This worked ok for a day or so, but now the outgoing emails are being rejected as spam as the log is reporting.

[email failed] ssmtp: 552 zxasjWBLeNXR9zxaujzgy6 message rejected due to spam or virus. If you b, Monday, July 27, 2020 07:30:40

As you can see some of the text has been cut off. I would like to be able to override the spam filter any ideas how?

Thanks

David

18 REPLIES 18
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Router Log email rejected as spam

@dgp 

Alternatively it is being sent OK but it is your destination incoming mail server rejecting it. What is the mail server you are addressing it to?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dgp
Rising Star

The outgoing server is relay.plus.net. I’m sending it to myself so both incoming and outgoing servers are Plusnet.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

@dgp 

You could try emailing it to a free gmail account and see what happens.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dgp
Rising Star

Thanks.Tried that and it went into my Gmail spam folder as it wasn’t coming from a Gmail server, but I was able to adjust the filters so it now goes into the normal inbox. I assume this means the original Plusnet email was being bounced by the incoming rather than outgoing server.

Would prefer to use Plusnet email though.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Are you using a valid something@<accountname>.plus.com address as the 'from' ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dgp
Rising Star

I am using one of the something@somethingelse.me.uk addresses that were handed out many years ago as an alternative to the something@username.plus.com addresses.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@dgp  I was going to suggest it MIGHT be lack of SPF on the domain in question, but I notice you posted in this thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-set-spf-DNS-record/m-p/1714763#M30239 a while ago.

Did you set up SPF for the domain ?

It might be worth changing the from address to a username.plus.com just to see if it makes any difference

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dgp
Rising Star

Hi Yes I did set up the SPF and that seemed to solve the problem I had then. I’ve now tried the username.plus.com option. It made no difference as.it was rejected in the same way as if it had come from the me.uk address.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I assume other emails you are sending aren't getting tagged as spam ?

It looks like the Cloudmark anti-spam system is detecting what it thinks is a spam signature in the router emails.

Does it contain any URLs ?

Is it possible to adjust the content of the emails in any way , headers/footers for example , to see what might be causing the false positive detection

dgp
Rising Star

Interestingly I have had the odd email treated as spam which does have URLs. Usually when I've forwarded an email to someone else. All I've done then is resend using another email address.

In this case the log includes URLs which have either been authorised or blocked. Unfortunately its not possible to adjust the format of the email with the log, its a standard Netgear router.

UPDATE - It’s now rejecting the emails to the gmail.com address.☹️

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The Plusnet email system uses the Cloudmark anti-spam system. As well as processing incoming mail, It parses outgoing email to attempt to prevent spam being sent by the plusnet relays. We've seen a few situations where certain URL's in outgoing emails have triggered it to prevent sending of the email. Preventing these false positives involves examing samples of the emails to retrain the Cloudmark system. That's not going to be possible with your router logs by the sounds of it, due to the number of URLs's likely to be in them.

I'm not sure there's anything that can be done in this situation, other than sending the router logs via another smtp server if you have access to one. Even that's likely to be a temporary work around as every email system is going to be trying, sooner or later,  to reduce the amount of spam being sent and will be using similar techniques to the Cloudmark system.

dgp
Rising Star

Thanks. Thats interesting as one emailed log has just got through. So its probable that one or more of the URLs being detected by my router is falling foul of the Cloudmark system, its just working out which one (or ones) it is could take some time. Even then it's possible the URL is rightly being rejected. I'll try using the Gmail SMTP settings to see if that works. In the meantime if I get any other emails bounced how do I let Plusnet know so they can update Cloudmark?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm not sure there's any formal mechanism to report, Cloudmark is supposed to be intelligent and to keep itself updated.

The normal mechanism is to post on here and for a PlusNet staffer to request a copy of the failed email, but in the current situation, being brutally honest,  I suspect it's not going to be high on anyones priority list.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@JW 

Is the signature in post #1 enough to have someone examine the logs please?  As noted, given these emails come out of the router, it will be difficult, if not impossible, to get hold of the original email if it is not somewhere in the SMTP server(s).