Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RoundCube not showing full contents of email inbox

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: RoundCube not showing full contents of email inbox

Even odder this evening. I opened up webmail first in RoundCube then in SquirrelMail in a separate tab. When I opened in RC it flashed up 31 unread emails which immediately changed to 27. However SM showed 36 from the start, the figure to what RC then changed when clicking on Inbox to refresh.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It certainly seems that Roundcube doesn't do (or is prevented from doing) a mailbox refresh before generating the initial mailbox list.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

Note it needs around 20-30 emails then before the aberrant behaviour is evidenced.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Another connected issue
I've been on webmail several times today. However since it's a weekend there's been little Spam. I however decided to look at my Spam box which at that point had no number showing against it. When I clicked on it it immediately changed to "Junk (1)" and there was one unread Spam email in there.
So the problem re showing the wrong number of emails isn't just confined to the Inbox.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think that behaviour with the spam folder is normal - I get that with Thunderbird too. The folder has to be opened to get the unread message count and I assume most mail clients only do that when the folder is selected.
David
drj
Aspiring Pro

Well it's not how I remember RC working - and it's certainly not how YahooMail works - can't say re GoogleMail since I don't get any Spam there.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Happened again at lunchtime. I opened RC twice a second apart - using two tabs in Chrome on my XPSP3 office machine. One listing clearly showed 20 unread emails - the other 36 33 simultaneously. I took screenshots but forgot to transfer them off my office computer.
EDIT - number corrected
drj
Aspiring Pro

... and again today at work. Always seems to cut off around noon and part way through the list of eBay notifications that come in at that time. Today the two screens read 21 and 28 emails.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Tonight I've logged on from home - both SM and RC in FF are showing 59 emails but SM is incorrectly showing 25 unread whereas RC is correctly showing 26...
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi drj,
I appreciate it's frustrating but there's nothing we can investigate based on the information you're updating here I'm afraid. Is there any more information you can supply? Do folders show differently, or are there any other discrepancies you can see?
drj
Aspiring Pro

I'm just reporting what happens as and when it happens so you can judge the frequency. I'm not particularly frustrated by it but clearly something's wrong since it happens several times a week. I don't know what further information I can provide.
There are several issues here - and they may be connected:
A] The full contents of the inbox not being shown as the topic title
B] The number of unread emails not being correct - potentially related to A
C] The number of unread emails varying between SM and RC
"Do folders show differently" - I'm talking about the Inbox rather than any sub-folders. I've posted numerous screenshots showing differing contents. I haven't noticed any problems with sub-folders (apart from the Spam folder not showing unread emails some times) but then I don't use them much, usually downloading to Outlook Express. I also today noticed an email as unread in the Deleted folder - normally emails are marked as read even if block deleted so I don't know how that happened.
Today's experience: I've just logged onto RC at work (XPSP3 - Chrome) hence my visit here. The screen reported 46 unread emails - I clicked on "Inbox" and it immediately changed to 53.
drj
Aspiring Pro

After being fine all weekend it's just happened again - opened RC webmail and it's showing 60 unread emails with the last one timed at 14.03 - hit "Inbox" and it changed to 69 unread with the last at 18.06
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

In past snapshots you've provided, it looks like you get quite a few emails with times very similar. Just how similar are they though? Maybe check the full header info for accurate time stamp.
Just a thought really, I'm not trying to say anything. Figuring out a pattern is part of the way to solve this.
That's RPM to you!!
drj
Aspiring Pro

Sorry - but I don't understand what you're trying to infer here - yes, I do get a batch of eBay notifications near the centre of the day and often the problem seems to lie about the same time - but it doesn't alter the fact that often when I log into Roundcube the number of emails showing is patently wrong.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I'm not inferring anything as such. I'm just saying that maybe the fact that those emails are so similar RC is getting confused by them during the first initial listing.
I've not actually looked at the code for RC so I'm not too sure how it's accessing the imap server. So looking for the "trigger" is all that can be done, for the moment.
What can you do to help? Umm... If possible could try to have all those eBay messages go into a different mailbox, temporarily of course, to see if that mailbox runs into this issue and the previous mailbox does not encounter it again. Obviously if that's not possible then ignore that.
That's RPM to you!!