cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieving Lost Emails

JohnnieT

Retrieving Lost Emails

Hi 

Not sure if anyone can help with this but I'm hoping someone might know how to fix it ?

We have always had our internet and email provided by Plusnet but recently changed internet provider in order to get fibre broadband.  Plusnet advised we could do this and still keep our email/domain provision with them and that, although we may lose access to it for 3-5 days, all emails would be retrievable for this period.

Sadly it took 3 weeks to get our email back up and running, and they now seem unable to find or retrieve the emails lost in this 3 week period which is really frustrating as many of these are important and work related.

Is it possible for us to go onto our account and retrieve these ourselves ?  Or does anyone know how we can fix this as i think there is a 30 day window and time is running out !!

Many thanks JT

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

Re: Retrieving Lost Emails

@JohnnieT Any emails sent during the time it took to restore your email access would unfortunately bounce back to the sender as 'undeliverable' as there would be nowhere to route  them to until your 'email only' account was set up and configured, so you were slightly wrongly informed, if that is what you were told.

Out of curiosity, why did it take so long?

Maybe @Gandalf could have a look and see what can be done for you.

John
JohnnieT

Thanks for your help and no sadly we weren't told this, only that it would be a 3-5 day wait to setup the email only account.  It seems it took 3 weeks (and about 5 hours in phone calls) as no-one seemed to really know how to set it up and then the Tech Team passed it to the Email Team that is apparently outsourced by Plusnet and we can't contact them direct.  I think the domain with the account also seemed to cause further problems !!

jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 79

Ah - OK. Unfortunately, not all the call centre/first line support are fully aware of the retained email policy, and the fact that it was linked to a domain would have caused even more confusion.

John
JohnnieT

Yeh that all sounds familiar ... all the staff we spoke to at Plusnet were really helpful as always, but you're right some just hadn't heard of it and just didn't know how to action it.  Thanks for your help 👍

Gandalf
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 1,102

Thanks for your post @JohnnieT and welcome to our Community Forums. I'm really sorry to see the problems you've had getting your account changed over to an email only account and how we've handled this.

Having a look through this, I can see we cancelled your account on the 25th June, then reactivated on the 29th June. Your mailboxes weren't recreated until the 16th July, I suspect likely as we didn't call or text you to make you aware we had reactivated your account as you wouldn't have received our emails saying so.

On the 20th July, we then restored your mail that were present in your additional mailboxes at the time your account was cancelled on the 25th June. I'm afraid that any mail you may had received between your account being closed/mailboxes destroyed, and the mailboxes being remade on the 16th July would've bounced back to the sender.

Also unfortunately we wouldn't have received anything from anybody who may had sent you emails within that time, because your email addresses wouldn't have existed, so the senders would've received an undeliverable report. Sad

(Basically to confirm what jab1 has already said and beat me to:))

I've added more information to an open support ticket on your account Here about the billing side of things and other concerns you'd raised. I'm taking personal ownership moving forward, however I am though going to be out of the office very shortly for the weekend, so if you get back to me and I don't respond today, I'll pick this up on Monday.

Once again I do sincerely apologise for the bad experience you've had.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
JohnnieT

Thanks for getting in touch Gandalf and for clearing things up about what has happened over the last few weeks with our email account.  It's frustrating to know we won't get the lost emails back but it helps to know why.  Thanks for prioritising this yourself and for taking it on 👍