cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retrieve emails deleted from Plusnet server?

BearDown

Retrieve emails deleted from Plusnet server?

Hi, first post from a new Plusnet customer. Just waiting for my fibre to be activated today.
I use Outlook 2010 and haven't been able to manually set up my Plusnet account with either IMAP or POP3 settings (Either '550' error or constantly prompted for password). So, I installed Plusnet Assist. I have noticed criticism here of Assist, but it was my next option. Aside from having to set Assist so it realised i actually had IE11 installed (wish I could tell it to use Pale Moon Firefox), and the fact the 'Next' tab was somehow off-screen and having to use the Tab key to selct it, I managed to get Assit to add the account to Outlook, even though Assist didn't appear to complete the operation. What I didn't know until too late was it only sets up a POP3 account (with leave a copy on the server deselected) and so Outlook downloaded only my last email from Plusnet, and deleted it from the server, along with the previous 2 or 3 I'd received since signing up. Angry
So, I have one email from the account in Outlook and the others have completely vanished, not on the server and never having reached Outlook! It's ridiculous that Assist doest ask if you want to use POP3 or IMAP settings.
Is it possible to retrieve those lost emails and get them back on the server? I've removed my Plusnet email from the Send/Receive action in Outlook for now.
6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Retrieve emails deleted from Plusnet server?

I'd say it's very unlikely if the account's been removed from Outlook. Why did you want the emails? There's a good chance there's a copy of them stored against your account.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

To find those email content, use the 'tickets' link below (you'll be promoted to log on to the portal) and select closed tickets.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BearDown

Quote from: Bob
I'd say it's very unlikely if the account's been removed from Outlook. Why did you want the emails? There's a good chance there's a copy of them stored against your account.

Thanks for the response.
I opened a live chat about it, and got the same answer about the emails being lost for good. I simply want the emails as a record of the sign-up process with Plusnet. They include my welcome email and progress reports on transferring ISPs.
I was about to ask whether the emails could simply be re-sent (seeing as they were all from Plusnet anyway), but it was just my luck that the switchover from my old ISP happened in the middle of that Live Chat so the conversation was terminated! Roll_eyes I was the without any internet until after midnight that day*.
I've since been able to set up the IMAP acount in Outlook and copied the one email which did download back onto the server. Before the Live Chat was terminated, I had suggested it be made clear that Assist would only set up a POP3 account in Outlook, but that point was glossed over by 'Jake' who I was speaking with.

*(Incidentally, whilst my wireless connection was fine from then on, it wasn't  until I used Open DNS server settings that my wired connection would work).
BearDown

Quote from: Townman
To find those email content, use the 'tickets' link below (you'll be promoted to log on to the portal) and select closed tickets.

Thanks for the info, but I'm not seeing that option. I clicked on your tickets link but was taken to https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html, the standard Help Assistant page. I don't see an option to select 'Closed tickets'. Am I missing something?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you are on that page scroll down and just above the purple footer area you will see Your questions with View all questions asked below it. Click that and select an appropriate date range for Closed Questions.
"Questions" and "Tickets" are alternative names for the same thing.
David
BearDown

Ah, that's clear now Smiley It's not an ideal solution to keeping the lost emails in my Outlook account but at least I've been able to save screenshots of the tickets. Thank you, Townman and spraxyt.