cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Spam emails

RobDickson
Grafter

Reporting Spam emails

I know that I can report spam using the buttons on the webmail, but have three questions:
1) Whenever I do this, I get error messages, but when I look in my Sent Items, the reported emails are there. Does the spam button actually work?
2) Is it possible to add the ability to report spam to other addresses too? I was thinking about being able to send the spam to SpamCop as well.
3) Was there a tool that allowed spam to be reported directly from Outlook? I've tried searching for it, but can't find it.
5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Reporting Spam emails

1) I think the present situation is that reporting incorrectly identified spam (or not spam) from basic webmail (SquirrelMail) is unlikely to speedily achieve the desired objective. However similar buttons have been introduced into advanced webmail (Roundcube) which forward the messages directly to Cloudmark and those should quickly be effective once the user's reputation has been built up. Using the buttons in Roundcube is the recommended action.
See here for details of these buttons.
2) I think you are on your own with that. Doesn't reporting to Spamcop require the user to have an account?
3) There was, but I don't think it was maintained by the writer. In any case the comments in 1) are relevant to this approach.
David
David
RobDickson
Grafter

Thanks. I haven't looked at the new webmail much. I'll have another look later.
Reporting to Spamcop does require an account, but each person is given a unique email address to forward emails to. Since the system used in the current webmail is to forward spam emails to an email address, it seems an obvious extension to forward to the Spamcop email address too.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Do we have an address to which we can send false spam and not-spam (without using the short-cut in betawebmail)?
The support page here still hasn't been updated...
Chris
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I don't think betawebmail actually e-mails spam/not-spam messages to Cloudmark, a Plusnet-developed plugin transfers them directly using API hooks. An authenticated username is supplied to build the reporter's reputation.
As far as I'm aware trying to provide an email facility via the spamtraining addresses is still under consideration.
David
David
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks for that, David. I understand the system a bit better now!
I collect tagged [SPAM] from my inbox and deal with it locally. Only my second 'spam' email in many months, and it turns out to be a false positive....  I'm not sure I can be bothered to keep copies on the server and check webmail periodically if the problem is this infrequent....  
Chris
duh!  Of course, I'd only need to access betawebmail when I received a falsie in my client.....  But even so....