cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing additional DNS records for a PlusNet hosted .co.uk domain e-mail account

FIXED
freebirduk
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Removing additional DNS records for a PlusNet hosted .co.uk domain e-mail account

PlusNet hosts a .co.uk domain for me and I currently forward the e-mail to the Microsoft cloud using additional DNS records. I'd like to stop this now and pick up the e-mail from PlusNet through IMAP.

I actually raised this several years ago in this thread...

Reverting-e-mail-from-bespoke-DNS-records-to-standard-Plusnet 

… but for various reasons (particularly terror at losing my primary e-mail account!) I didn't go ahead with my proposed actions.

Feeling braver now but before I do go ahead a couple of further questions:

1. In the "Configure options for xxx.co.uk" page there only appear to be options to revert to POP3 or SMTP. What do I do though if I want an IMAP service from PlusNet?
  2. Once the change is made how do I access the account. I know how to access my xxx@yyy.plus.com accounts but what about my xxx@yyy.co.uk account?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Removing additional DNS records for a PlusNet hosted .co.uk domain e-mail account

Welcome back @freebirduk and happy new year. 

I’m writing this post assuming you’ve not made any changes to how you manage your mail through Microsoft and us since @bobpullen posted on your thread many moons ago as I’ve not checked your email from our side (I’m not currently in the office to check)

Once you remove the additional DNS records we’ll do that work for you so you’ll be able to access your email via IMAP. You just need to log in to http://webmail.plus.net with the following:

Username: your full domain email address

Password: your account password

This is for the default mailbox that’s set up on your Plusnet account, it’s the first mailbox you see in the format of username@username.plus.com

When you have a domain with us, you’d just replace the bit after the @ with your domain. The part before the @ is your mailbox name.

For additional mailboxes, you’d login with the domain email address and the appropriate password for that mailbox. 

To view what mailboxes you have setup with us, log in to your account Here go to the Manage Account tab and click on my manage my email.

To configure your email on a mail client as IMAP you’ll need the following details:

E-mail address: your domain email address

Username: account username or if it’s an additional mailbox it’ll be username+mailbox

Password: your password for that mailbox

Server: imap.plus.net

Port: 143

Authentication: Password

SSL/TLS: No

This will be in addition to your setup you currently have and as Bob advised in his post, your mail would stop being delivered to the folders they’re being delivered to now and instead they’ll go to your folders on the Plusnet server. 

It may be worth backing up your mail to local storage on a computer, so if things go horribly wrong you won’t lose your messages.

The good news is that there’s nothing you’d be able to do yourself for us to stop ‘hosting’ your domain as that’s something we’d only be able to do from our side at your request. 

As long as you’ve backed up your mail, have the mailboxes set up in Manage My Mail, make no changes with Microsoft apart from removing the DNS records from your Plusnet account, there shouldn’t be anything to worry about as you should in theory be able to re-add the DNS and go back to how you collected your mail before.

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Removing additional DNS records for a PlusNet hosted .co.uk domain e-mail account

@freebirduk 

. I know how to access my xxx@yyy.plus.com accounts but what about my xxx@yyy.co.uk account?

I'm not sure if you realise, but with a domain hosted by PN for email, those email addresses will map to the same mailbox. 

Btw you can now use ssl to access the imap server on port 993 and smtp on port 465

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

freebirduk
Dabbler

Ok so, using Outlook 2016 desktop client I have:

• Taken and checked a backup of the account
  • Removed the account from Outlook
  • Changed the domain configuration through the PlusNet website so that it's now "EMail settings POP3" and "Domain Hosting Settings Default". This was done at about 11:55 today.
  • Created the account again in Outlook with the following:

email address : xxx@mydomain.co.uk

Incoming server: imap.plus.net, Port 993, Encryption SSL/TLS, Require SPA No

outgoing server imap.plus.net. Port 465, Encryption SSL/TLS, Requite SPA No

Password: The one I use for xxx@plusnetaccountname.plus.com

Outlook doesn't let me input a username, only the e-mail address.

That doesn't connect. I suspect it may be a propogation delay issue or maybe there's something wrong with the above?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

@freebirduk The outgoing server should be relay.plus.net

Using advanced settings you should be able to enter username/ password for the server settings

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/add-an-email-account-using-advanced-setup-560a9065-3c3a-4ec...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

freebirduk
Dabbler

Bingo. Account setup and messages being sent and received successfully from other accounts. Thanks for the help from both of you on that.

I have a supplementary issue in copying folders from my backup .pst to the "new" account as they are being marked as (This computer only). I've found some references to this problem though so I'll follow these up and raise a new issue if necessary.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for the update @freebirdukI’m glad to see you’ve got this sorted now and apologies for not giving you the outgoing server in my previous post. Not sure how I forgot that. Embarrassed

Let us know if there’s anything else you’d need help with. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet