cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Releasing an MX DNS name

wrightflyer1903

Releasing an MX DNS name

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away I signed up with a domain/email supplier called freenetname.co.uk and got my-own-domain.co.uk to use for email with their webmail system. Later FreeNetName were bought by MadAsAFish. Later still MadAsAFish were bought by Plus.net who now still run the legacy webmail service and maintain the domain name.

The problem is that the old mail service has a 100MB limit on mailbox size. I have asked PlusNet in the past if there's any amount of money I can pay them to simply increase that mailbox size but they say no.

The issue then, is that my wife uses her-name@my-own-domain.co.uk as her main email account and every couple of days the iPad stops receiving email because the mailbox is full and anything sent is bounced. It's not possible to fix this from the iPad itself except by going to https://webmail.plus.net/ and logging into the account there then deleting the spam or low interest emails simply to make room for more to come in. (most of the time it doesn't work from Safari/iPad and I end up doing it from a PC)

As email become more graphic and each messages is, on average, larger this is happening with increasing regularity. When ordering stuff for Christmas it's important to be able to get instant email response.

So, the question, if we're stuck with this legacy webmail system and a 100MB limit then what do I have to do to get control back of the MX DNS record so it can be directed to a mail server on a system that IS willing to accept pretty much any amount of money I'm willing to pay them to prevent the constant ear bashing I am getting for this "unusable email" system she has now ?

WF1903

4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Releasing an MX DNS name

@wrightflyer1903 - you will need to transfer the domain to another registrar/email host.

To do this, you would need to contact support and provide them with the IPS Tag of the new registrar.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

wrightflyer1903

Wow, quick reply!

The issue I have is that it does not actually seem possible to speak to a human being at PlusNet (hence my post on this forum). If you try to go through the steps to speak to a human you are just directed to a load of FAQ articles (none of which is about MX transfer !). I guess my question really is "how do I actually interact with a human at plus.net to be able to sort this out?"

Remember that I am not really (only by default) a Plus.Net customer. My original agreement was with a company called FreeNetName.co.uk in 2000 (long since vanished) so it's not like I have a Plus.Net account login or anything like that in order to raise a support ticket or however it is the support for real Plus.Net customers is done.

WF1903

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The domain will be associated with an account at Plusnet's side, and that account should be accessible using the Freenetname username/password here.

Unfortunately, the online support links on that site won't work, so you'd need to pick up the phone - 0800 432 0200

If you can log in above, then you have everything you need to pass the necessary security checks.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

There is another pragmatic solution, at least as an interim!

100MB is not much, it was the working size (workable size) back in the days when emails were largely text and people did not use email share documents (etc).  In fact until quite late on in my professional career in IT (ended 2012) we only had 100MB on our corporate mail boxes.

If you wife ONLY accesses the mailbox on the iPad, assuming that it is configured as IMAP, then a pragmatic solution would be to drop that account on the iPAD and recreate it as a POP3 account.  POP3 configurations DOWNLOAD the emails from the server, rather than syncing the content as happens with IMAP.

With "retain on server" set to never, it will never be necessary to cull the contents again - HOWEVER the mailbox will only be available on the single device.

If this is a course you'd like to explore, then ask first, as you'll need some reflective guidance of dealing with other folders presently on the server - notably the sent items!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.