cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Release from quarantine not working (and whitelist problems)

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Release from quarantine not working (and whitelist problems)

I've released an email from IronPort quarantine and it hasn't been delivered a couple of hours later - normally they arrive in minutes. Can someone check if there is a stuck queue somewhere please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
32 REPLIES 32
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Release from quarantine not working

Was it spam or virus quarantine? I've just released a test email from spam quarantine and it arrived near immediately.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Spam - the quarantine notification is still sitting in my wife's mailbox (begins with J).
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've just tried releasing it for you jelv and it's come straight through.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

jelv
Seasoned Hero

How did you manage that???!!!
When I now click the "View all quarantined emails" link in the quarantine emails I got
Error  —  An error occurred during authentication. Please contact your system administrator.

It worked the first time, but after I tried releasing the email I got the login page.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've just tried an experiment with interesting results:
On another mailbox I received a spam quarantine notification. It listed one email and underneath the table the link reads "View All Quarantined Messages(7)".
I used the link which then displayed the list of 7 spam emails going back to 12th May.
I then released one of the earlier emails (not the one for which I received the notification) - it arrived within seconds.
I closed the browser tab. Now when I try to use the link in the email which previously worked I receive the "Error — An error occurred during authentication. Please contact your system administrator." as above. I've also tried in a different browser and receive the same message.
An explanation please!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
I closed the browser tab. Now when I try to use the link in the email which previously worked I receive the "Error — An error occurred during authentication. Please contact your system administrator." as above. I've also tried in a different browser and receive the same message.
An explanation please!

Can you still log into the Quarantine for that mailbox? I'm guessing the URL is tailored to the seven messages that were in the quarantine. When a message was released maybe it broke the authentication string in the URL?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've never managed to figure out the user name for logging in to a named mailbox.
Edit: Just managed to log in using mailboxname@username.plus.com BUT...
It's not listing any quarantined emails including one I received notification of this morning.
Edit2: Is this because the mailbox name is not an email address that is actually used? Most of my email addresses are aliases of that mailbox
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Bob, This saga is continuing - links in emails not working then suddenly they are; logging in shows no quarantined emails then it does.
See 33686023 and 33685885 (James has already addressed the first response to 33685885 querying the email with the agent concerned - check with James before chewing anybodies ears off - he's addressed some of the failings)
Another user I talk to on IM has seen similar problems - details are in the ticket.
I'm not very happy with the action taken on 33685885!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Re: Release from quarantine not working (and whitelist problems)

More users with the same problems on p.s.c-f! ("Ironport quarantine")
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: jelv
Is this because the mailbox name is not an email address that is actually used? Most of my email addresses are aliases of that mailbox

Yes, AFAIK you can only independently log into Quarantine using a *mailbox* address. Accessing the Quarantine this way will *only* show messages sent specifically to that mailbox and not to any aliases you may have pointing at it. At least I think that's how it works. All I know is that there were a *lot*  of niggles with Quarantine back when it was implemented that we couldn't get around due to incompatibilities between the way our mail system works and the way the IronPort appliances operate.
The messages sometimes appearing and sometimes not /might be/ a discrepancy between the two quarantine appliances on the network.
The authentication errors (unless it's due to the reason in my previous post) could be caused by a similar thing I guess although I note that there isn't anybody in p.s.customer-feedback reporting these issues?
Anyway, I will try to take a look at this tomorrow although it will depend what else I have on as Quarantine is only used by a handful of people IIRC so as far as problems go is pretty low priority...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Bob
although I note that there isn't anybody in p.s.customer-feedback reporting these issues?

From p.s.c-f:
I keep getting an email from Ironport stating that there is an email in quarantine but when I log on there are no messages. I have even tried to release it using the link in the quarantine email but still nothing. How can i "purge" this to stop getting this email every day?

I've had the same trouble for over a month now. When I click the bottom,  line to go to Ironport, I get an error message and just the logon box.  When  I log on, there are no mails to see.  I have had my emails rebuilt by a PN  guy but it only seemed to work for a couple of days.
If you are around Bob... username is skycatcher

The link at the bottom of the email should log you straight in AFAIK.
Is this a catch-all mailbox? If so, I reckon that might be what's causing the problem. I've got a vague recollection you have to use the release links in the notification email for catch-all mailboxes.
--
|Bob Pullen

None of my mailboxes (skycatcher) are Catch-All.  Never had this problem until a couple of months ago (roughly) and it worked perfectly today.  If it happens again I'll make notes of the 'Error' message at the top of the screen and/or get a screen shot.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Action taken by CSC to stop the Sainsbury's emails being quarantined (they removed it from the approved list and 'set the aggressiveness to 1' - it already was 1!) was very effective - today's email was quarantined.
And quess what, clicking the links in the notification emails fails.
Yes, AFAIK you can only independently log into Quarantine using a *mailbox* address. Accessing the Quarantine this way will *only* show messages sent specifically to that mailbox and not to any aliases you may have pointing at it. At least I think that's how it works. All I know is that there were a *lot*  of niggles with Quarantine back when it was implemented that we couldn't get around due to incompatibilities between the way our mail system works and the way the IronPort appliances operate.

The mailbox I am having trouble with is an ordinary mailbox with no aliases.
Quarantine is only used by a handful of people IIRC so as far as problems go is pretty low priority...

Could that be because people have found it is crap?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Bob,
I've looked at the page source when Ironport gave the error and can't see anything that identifies which server it came from. Could something like the <!-- k4wY98cb7DKEtGAY37lNUQ%3D%3D --> which is added to the end of the portal pages be implemented?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@jelv I've assigned this issue an internal problem reference (ref: 62306) but i can't guarantee I'm going to be able to get any movement on it this week. Can you add the Sainsburys address to your approvevd list again please if you haven't done so already and make sure that it's applied to *all domains* on your account using the appropriate tick box?
In the interim I'll switch on Quarantine for some of my test accounts.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team