cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relay server down?

dalegilbert
Dabbler

Relay server down?

Issue with emails  being sent  from mobile phone.  Is the Relay server down?

13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Relay server down?

It's working for me.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @dalegilbert

Are you able to send mail from webmail.plus.net and/or a mail client on any other device?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dalegilbert
Dabbler

webmail works but i don't have another device with me as I'm at work.  i have another device but is at home. it is happening on 2 of the email accounts I have.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's probably worth sending us screenshots showing the settings you're using to connect.

Make sure you blur out any private information though as this is a public forum.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dalegilbert
Dabbler

See attached. It worked yesterday and I've changed nothing. It fails on the 2 email accounts I have on this phone.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Personal information removed from screenshot.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks. I've refreshed the mailbox component on your account which should come into effect within 30 mins and hopefully fix this. Failing that I've also raised a task with our infrastructure engineering team to investigate further. Let us know how things go over the next day or so 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dalegilbert
Dabbler

working now but will monitor. thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update, that's good to see.

Let us know if you notice problems again

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@dalegilbert wrote:

See attached. It worked yesterday and I've changed nothing. It fails on the 2 email accounts I have on this phone.

What Phone?

How connected - WiFi or 3/4G?

Were in in the exact same location when it was not working and was then working?

Is the SMTP server configured to use port 25 or 587?

Analysis:

Some networks (especially corporate ones) tend to inhibit access to SMTP servers off network on port 25 but permit them to connect on port 587.  Though email client message submission usually works on port 25, the correct port for this activity is 587.

I have experienced email sending difficulties on some 3/4G cells … only to find that when I connect to a different cell, all is OK.  In some areas one could have three or more cells available - changing room could cause cell connectivity to change and thereby access to network services.

On iPhones I have seen the email application have difficulty connecting to servers (typically reporting password errors) only to then work correctly after unloading and restarting the application.

There have been reports (and I have experienced the issue) of connection to SMTP servers being refused on the claim that the credentials are not correct - again after a short time all becomes OK again without any changes being made.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fasty
Dabbler

Similar problem here, yesterday:

Error message ("credentials not accepted") from Android phone when attempting to send email via relay.plus.net port 587 over 4G connection on Three network.

Gmail being used as simple POP3 client. Other services (web, voice, apps etc) all working flawlessly, good signal.

NO SETTINGS CHANGED since known good working configuration.

Switched to Asda SIM on phone (MVNO using EE), started working OK.

Switched back to Three, fails again (repeat several times; it's repeatable).

Returned home, connected through PlusNet via Wi-Fi, no problem.

Today sending via Three is working again without intervention. Seems like relay.plus.net simply didn't want to play with Three yesterday?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Or look at it differently - the 3 network did not want to serve a connection to the Plusnet relay server at the location you were in.  When connected to a 3/4G network, it is not just a matter of the carrier you are connected to, but also the cell for that carrier.  It would help if you could identify the IP network address when such connectivity issues are identified.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

3 are currently changing their systems. I know this because as part of this 'upgrade!' they have just shut down access through their '3 In Touch' wifi calling app. As a result I am having to change my mobile phone contract as I have poor 3 reception at home. There could be a connection or not (pardon the pun).

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

fasty
Dabbler

@Townman wrote:

Or look at it differently - the 3 network did not want to serve a connection to the Plusnet relay server at the location you were in.  When connected to a 3/4G network, it is not just a matter of the carrier you are connected to, but also the cell for that carrier.  It would help if you could identify the IP network address when such connectivity issues are identified.

Unfortunately I don't have the IP addresses but I did experience the problem in several different locations (e.g. home, work) which would definitely have been in different cells. Thankfully it seems to have gone away for now.