cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relay.plus.net not accepting mail

sturgeo
Hooked

Relay.plus.net not accepting mail

Has anyone ever hosted their own email server and had relay.plus.net set as the smarthost for a *.xyz domain?

I have a few "production" domains (*.co.uk) and have in the past tested this configuration and it has worked.

I've just purchased some *.xyz domains purely for testing and I get the below message when forwarding through relay.plus.net.

mx1.*****.co.uk is my email server, this is able to serve as the email server for other .co.uk domains.

Reporting-MTA: dns; mx1.*****.co.uk
X-Postcow-Queue-ID: 2166A148A92
X-Postcow-Sender: rfc822; ***@********.xyz
Arrival-Date: Mon,  5 Apr 2021 17:32:08 +0100 (BST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; *********@gmail.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;*********@gmail.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; relay.plus.net
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 <***@********.xyz> sender domain rejected
    (blacklisted by local policy)

6 REPLIES 6
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Relay.plus.net not accepting mail

When sending through relay.plus.net as a smart host, are you authenticating using your account username and account password?

sturgeo
Hooked

I wasn't authenticating before for my .co.uk domains, literally only had the smarthost set.

I've just added my credentials and still get the error.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Do you have a static or dynamic IP? Also business or residential account? If the latter I suspect that may be the reason as it’s possible you’d only be allowed to run an email server on a business connection

sturgeo
Hooked

Residential with a static IP.
As mentioned, my co.uk can use the relay.plus.net fine as the outgoing smart host.
sturgeo
Hooked

I'll also add, inbound works fine and the SPF record has been created to allow madafish and plus.net as the authorised senders.
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

I just ran some manual tests via telnet and it would appear that unknown domains such as somethingrandom.somethingelserandom are rejected as an 'invalid domain (no MX or A record' as you might expect but anything.xyz results in the 'sender domain rejected' rejection so it looks like Plusnet are - as per the 'blacklisted by local policy' expansion - manually blocking sending from that TLD as a whole.

Perhaps there was a big spam issue at some point in the past for Plusnet and a knee-jerk response of blacklisting the entire domain is now leading to false rejections despite increased legitimate adoption of the namespace? Well, I'm assuming legitimate usage - perhaps you're in the company of a lot of spammers and fraudsters by buying into that namespace (I see Google were an early adopter so maybe that's a case in point! ;-)). If so then the issue with Plusnet could be a taste of things to come if it's an often-abused namespace and it might serve you well to pick another TLD to reside in. New, cheap, gTLDs attract the wrong kind of customer (the owners don't care - these gTLDs are set up primarily to print as much money as possible despite what claims they might make regarding helping expand the Internet).