cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redundant Email Folders - IMAP

Oliver1
Dabbler

Redundant Email Folders - IMAP

Recently I'm seeing folders with similar names pop up and I think it may be because different email clients use different folder names for the same function.

Example: Deleted Items and Deleted Messages, or Sent and Sent Messages..

Is there a list of which clients use irregular names for folders, and is it generally configurable?

The platforms I'm covering are:

Live Mail

Thunderbird

Webmail

Iphone/Ipad

It looks as if the name you see in Thunderbird isn't nessecerily the underlying folder name, for example I believe "Deleted" is actually called "TRASH"?

Also given where this happens I believe it may be the Apple products that are causing it.

2 REPLIES
PacketLoss
Dabbler

Re: Redundant Email Folders - IMAP

Hi,

This is a very common issue, especially (in my experience) when you use Apple products as they seem to have created different names for standard folders (Sent, Drafts, etc). It's fair to say there's no one standard, and I've never seen a list myself but might be worth searching online.

This is all configurable though, so you just need to decide what you want your standard folder names to be and configure each client to use them. I use Thunderbird and Apple IOS products, once configured you'll probably never worry about it again. I personally let Thunderbird create the standard folder names, as it's implementation appears to be more common and then configured my iPhone for those folders.

Oliver1
Dabbler

Re: Redundant Email Folders - IMAP

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had the chance to try it out.