cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirects losing email

Beran
Grafter

Redirects losing email

It seems that if a PlusNet redirect fails to forward a message, it sends no report to the sender that the message was not delivered. We believe this is causing us to occasionally lose emails which are being sent through redirects. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
This is easy to demonstrate, by setting a redirect to point to a non-existent email address, which will normally return a bounce message.
Is this PlusNet's intended implementation of redirects (i.e. if it can't deliver the mesage, just throw it away), or is something broken.
(Problem has been raised as a ticket on our account)
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Redirects losing email

Quote from: Beran
This is easy to demonstrate, by setting a redirect to point to a non-existent email address, which will normally return a bounce message.

I've done this and if I send an email to the Plusnet redirect address I get...
Delivery has failed to these recipients or distribution lists:
localpart@invalid.tld <-- invalid destination address
An error occurred while trying to deliver this message to the recipient's e-mail address. Microsoft Exchange will not try to redeliver this message for you. Please try resending this message, or provide the following diagnostic text to your system administrator.
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: ptn-ipout02.plus.net
localpart@invalid.tld
#< #5.0.0 smtp; 5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up invalid.tld (MX): NXDomain' (delivery attempts: 0)> #SMTP#

So I'm not able to replicate what you're reporting? Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Beran
Grafter

The losing of emails sent to a redirect is definitely real, but may be account specific. Tickets were raised with PlusNet for investigation on Friday morning (no action by Networks yet)
Beran
Grafter

Today we received a response from CSC saying they agree that redirects set to a mailbox on the same account do not report failures correctly. However, they say they do not consider this to be a problem! Hopefull this is the opinion of a single, ill-informed CSC member, not that of Plusnet as a whole.
We still await a response on the circumstances when a redirect to a different account fails. We have this configured as an absolutely hard failure, with a redirect currently acting as a blackhole to anything sent to it.
snookie
Dabbler

Shocked If Plus Net mail servers can deliver a bounced message when a redirect fails, why in the name of sanity can they not do so when a Mailbox is closed / deactivated / dispensed with??!!!!  Test Messages sent to my closed mailbox are just disappearing into the ether somewhere in the Madasafish Server's innards.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a734696f749fde6539cc8a74b6fe4873&topic=97290.0