Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent slow down in email upload

TW
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Recent slow down in email upload

My email system uses icedove in Debian 8 to a FTTC connection and has usually been quite quick when asked to send emails.
Of late it has become sluggish - although the emails are uploaded eventually.
Your problem Plusnet, or mine?
8 REPLIES 8
hamilton36
Grafter

Re: Recent slow down in email upload

I have the same problem and I am running Win10, so you  are not alone and that points to a problem with Plus.net. Interestingly, you did not get a reply to your email and I did not get it either!
Alex
kdiment
Rising Star

I have noticed this too. The seemingly longer time taken to send an email is not enough to be a real problem, but if it is the beginning of something that could get worse then it could become serious.
TW
Rising Star

The slow sending is not changing - as you remark Plusnet are not picking up on this complaint with any guidance for us.
An email sent from icedove in Debian 8, with just 'OK' in the body, takes 25 secs to be uploaded to the outgoing server (relay.plus.net)
I think this is a long time on a FTTC connection.
I have just noticed a similar thread, "Slow delivery of email!" started by hamilton36, which did attract a response..but not a very helpful one I'm afraid.
The suggestion in that thread from kdiment about merging all the threads with this common problem makes good sense.
TW
Rising Star

Having read the "Slow delivery of email!" in its entirety I feel that that is the thread that will obtain a solution from Plusnet, so I'm suggesting this thread is regarded as closed
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Have you read this thread as it seems a similar problem
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,146258.0.html
NetworkMan

I use Thunderbird on Kubuntu and have been getting slow responses when sending emails for perhaps a week or so.
I dumped some of the TCP and SMTP  traffic and can see that all proceeds pretty well until I send the actual email message. There is then a consistent delay of about 15 seconds before the server replies 'mail accepted for delivery.'  Prior to, and subsequent to, this exchange everything is virtually instantaneous so it looks as if some timer is going off in the server which finally kicks it into life.
I just sat on the 'phone to plusnet technical support for 20 minutes before giving up.  Perhaps I'll try reporting it on the Plusnet web pages - anyone tried this yet?
tomp2
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Is everyone still having this problem? Has anyone found a solution?
After having perfectly workable e-mail for a very long time, about ten days ago, mine suddenly started taking ages to send. I'm using Apple Mail on an iMac. Outgoing messages go straight to outbox, and then even the smallest message can take several minutes to send from there. This points clearly to a problem at Plusnet's end, in my view, especially given what others have said recently on this forum, in several threads.
I assumed this was a temporary glitch, but it's been going on for a while now without (as far as I know) anyone at Plusnet even acknowledging the issue of conceding there is a problem.
Anyone?
Tom Angry
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The problem has been acknowledged and is being worked on. The following quote is from here.
Quote from: Bob
Quote from: derekhaselden
There clearly is a problem, but no-one seems to have an answer.  Is anyone from PlusNet listening in ?

Yes, there is a problem. We've an internal incident raised that our network engineers are looking into (ref: 89083).
David