cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving emails

SBG

Receiving emails

Not getting incoming emails on my PC yet when I check my webmail there are some waiting and have been for several pays. How do I unblock?

15 REPLIES 15
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Receiving emails

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

It would help to know what email program you are using on the PC.  Do you see any error messages there?  Has this ever worked?  Is the PC otherwise able to access the internet?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SBG

Thanks for your reply. Don't know what you mean by which programme am I using-no idea what or how I might find out for you. No error messages anywhere, was working properly until about two weeks ago, seemed to coincide with when my daughter emailed with a couple of large attachments (now deleted). Internet otherwise working fine and I have a business email address that has mail going in and out working perfectly, but that is not a plusnet email address. When checking on webmail it takes ages to download and sometimes times out before it completes. If I ask for unread mail only it appears pretty quickly then sometime after a load more already deleted mail pops up as well. Help appreciated. SBG

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Townman was asking what (if any) email program you used e.g.  Outlook, Thunderbird, Pegasus, or other. If you have If you have a business email address, I assume you don't just use webmail.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ah that seems much clearer.  I would suspect that there are still emails with a large attachments somewhere in your email box in the inbox or trash folders which are very slowly being downloaded to your PC.

if I’ve understood your response correctly the fact that webmail bombs out somewhat supports that theory.  You could try logging into your mailbox using the Squirrel (basic webmail) interface,  it is fleeter of foot than round cube and might afford a workable route to sorting out the contents of the mail box.  Remember to delete the content of the trash folder (deleted items) as well.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SBG

Hello again. I think the answer to your earlier question is Outlook. Have since checked Trash (nothing in it) and deleted (no files of any size in there). Today again some small incoming emails in Webmail not getting though. I asked to see all unread mail only and about 8 popped up, all of which I knew about. But after a minute or so more popped up in the box, all emboldened text indicating that they were unread but I had previously opened all of them and most had previously been deleted.

Saw other responses to similar issues and followed instructions to resolve but none have had any affect it seems.  I live in hope. SBG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK, lets step back and take this one step at a time.

Looking at webmail, which shows you emails not yet seen in outlook, do any have large attachments?

SBG

Hello again. No, only one currently waiting and that has no attachments. I've looked at pages of those opened and there are none with large files attached either. SBG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

OK, in that case, lets try something different.

Close Outlook on your PC

Press <windows key>+R (launches the RUN box)

run: outlook.exe /safe

See if the emails now down load.

SBG

Strangely 7 new emails popped up on my PC this afternoon, none of which were waiting on webmail (I only just noticed) so perhaps the issue has suddenly cleared.

I just did what you suggested anyway but it takes me into pages I just do not understand. Hopefully not now necessary.

Thanks for your help

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sometimes Outlook gets its internals twisted. Often running Outlook in safe mode (once) sorts out those issues.

If you think that advice fixed the issue, please mark the post as the fix for the problem. Thank you.

SBG

I think I spoke too soon, just looked on webmail and there are three small emails sitting there that came in between about 9.00 am and just before 1.00 pm. No logical reason why they should not have gone through to my PC by now 17.25pm. SBG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Are any errors reported if you do a send & receive in Outlook?

SBG

No error messages received. The four emails found on webmail yesterday have now come through so the issue now seems to be one of delay rather than blockage but I'd still like to resolve it. SBG

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

When it does not work consistently it becomes rather complicated!

There are a host of conditions / events which might give rise to the symptoms you have reported...

• Internet performance
  • Email server performance
  • PC performance
  • Large email attachments

Have you seen any other internet connectivity issues, such as variable responsiveness?