cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving emails from a domain works fine for days then suddenly gets rejected with a 552 Spam error

pozi
Dabbler

Receiving emails from a domain works fine for days then suddenly gets rejected with a 552 Spam error

I have been in regular communication with a company for months but they are saying randomly when they send me message it bounces back with the error below.

SMTP error from remote server for TEXT command, host: mx.avasin.plus.net (212.159.9.200) reason: 552 Spam Message Rejected

They have tried stripping out URLs from their email footer and it makes no difference, one minute they can email, the next they just get the 552. 

I did wonder if this was because my usual email address is a forward from my domain with 1&1 but bypassing that does not make a difference either, in fact 1&1 add X-Spam-Flag: NO and X-UI-Out-Filterresults: notjunk:1 into the header showing they are happy with it.

The company say they only have this problem with my email so any suggestions on next steps?

4 REPLIES 4
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Receiving emails from a domain works fine for days then suddenly gets rejected with a 552 Spam e

Hopefully a member of staff will pick this up.

If you've got the full headers of the ones being accepted and the ones being rejected then that will help and pass it onto them. Also the date and times will be useful.

I don't mind helping if you PM me your e-mail address. I can send you a test e-mail from my main e-mail account where I use my own domains and one where I don't. Still have access to my PlusNet account webmail as just tried it.

EDIT: Also copy and paste the content and try e-mailing it to yourself from another account. As you imply, it sounds like it is being rejected based on the headers though.

pozi
Dabbler

Re: Receiving emails from a domain works fine for days then suddenly gets rejected with a 552 Spam e

Thanks, I have run tests from other mailboxes to my email forward and they all get through so I am confident that side is working. The company can also successfully send the same email to my Hotmail and GMail accounts.

It really is just Plusnet which seems to occasionally reject their emails and I am baffled by what is triggering it. The only possibly thing outside of what is considered "normal" by Plusnet is that the company is based in Prague, Czech Republic, but that should not be enough of a reason to randomly consider them as spam email.

Hopefully the Admin team will catch this and can give the Cloudmark service a nudge?

pozi
Dabbler

Bouncing this back to the top for humour value. I had logged a ticket and explained the email was being rejected by mx.avasin.plus.net (212.159.9.200) as spam, I then followed up with the full header information.

3 weeks later I get the ticker returned to me today asking:

is the issue with a 3rd party client or Webmail?
if webmail which Browser are you using?
have you clear cache and cookies?
do you authorise for us to change the password?

How in the world of all things email can a message rejected at the core by a PlusNet server before even reaching my mailbox have any impact on the email client or if I have tried clearing my browser cache?Huh

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.