Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really dumb question....

FIXED
Wooster
Hooked

Really dumb question....

Hello - I've been a plus.net customer for a few years, but never wanted to create a plus.net email account - until now. I've watched the  Video  but I can't seem to login.  It asks for my username and password....  Are these my plus.net account username & password?  When i use these it just comes back with 'login failed'.  What am i doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Really dumb question....

Hi @Wooster 

A warm welcome to the forums … there is no such thing as a dumb question when you do not already know the answer!!

Just to check...

1. Do you have an active account which you are paying for (that is not a legacy free email account)?
  2. Are you logging into the user / account portal (not webmail)?
  3. Are you with Plusnet or one of the legacy brands?

The link you gave refers to using the WEBMAIL service - on that page there is another link (https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/) which advises on how to set up email addresses - which you need to do before you try to use them!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Wooster
Hooked

Hello Townman - An active account?  I get my broadband & phone from Plusnet - to I'm assuming this means I have an active account?  I'm log on through this page:  https://www.plus.net/member-centre/login  So - yes, I'm with plusnet.  I'm only interested in using a web-mail address - I don't want to use MS Outlook etc.  (I'm happy with an @plusnet address.)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix

@Wooster 

My apologies - the link I gave you from the how to USE webmail page does not expressly advise on how to set up email addresses (as I expected it to).  You need to follow the further link on that page https://www.plus.net/manage_my_mail/ to ESTABLISH the mail box.

Indeed the rest of that page does describe CONNECTING to an existing mailbox using an email client.

Webmail is just another email client … you still need to create the email addresses using the Manage My Mail option in the user portal.  That page I pointed you to presupposes that a default address exists … which is the way the email system used to work.  I will ask for the page to be reviewed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Wooster
Hooked

Thanks for this.  Completed the necessary fields, and now just waiting for the conformation from the 'postmaster'.  Grateful thanks

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That email address should already be ready for use - just try logging into it using webmail.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Wooster - thank you for your input here - the consequent request to change the documentation in the light of your experience has been accepted.