cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Receive old mails... is it possible?

deeteepee

Re-Receive old mails... is it possible?

I've recently got a new pc :), due to the old one giving up  Embarrassed BUT I've suddenly realised I need some important emails from the old pc... the whole point of buying a new laptop was so I didn't have to pay for the old one to be repaired.
All I ever did was send & receive mails from Windows Mail using Vista on the old laptop, but no mails seem to be in my online plusnet mail account, nor can I find a way of getting them to all come through again on my new machine!
I remember in the past I have done it where all old mails have been re-received, but I seem to have lost the plot now. i'm aware i'm at risk of getting thousands of spams just to pick ot a handful of useful mails, but i'm happy for that risk just to get my hands on some old fotos, holiday bookings & work stuff.
Please help!!
8 REPLIES 8
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Re-Receive old mails... is it possible?

Hi deeteepee. If you have a Plusnet email account you can visit the webmail page here: https://webmail.plus.net/?_task=mail&_mbox=INBOX
From there if you click on mail, it should have all your mail archived (mines there from when I set in up last moth).
Hope that helps?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

The problem is that you will have set up Windows Mail to remove emails from the server when downloading them
The only possibility you will have is to retrieve the emails from the old computer - is there any way of accessing the  hard drive in the old computer
deeteepee

hi there, nothing seems to be archived in my online PlusNet mail thingy... nothing before a couple of weeks ago and I don't seem to see any option to try and go back further, I have used it previously so they should be there!!
as for accessing the harddrive... yes, I could, BUT then I wouldn't know where to start, how to get things off it!! and I really don't want to pay too much, especially after purchasing this new one!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

They should be here
Well, after doing some more digging on my own, I came up with a location for the email folders:
C:/Users/(MyName)/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows Mail/Local Folders
Apparently, the *.dbx files are non existant in Vista. Each individual message is now saved as a separate .eml file.
The contact lists was right there under my User Name, also.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

One "trick" for moving emails from an old PC to a new one is (roughly) as follows:
1. Create a new email account somewhere, e.g. google mail
2. Access it using IMAP on the old PC.
3. "drag and drop" all the email you want to carry forwards from the folders in the original email account to the new one, wait for this to finish.
4. Add new email account to new PC, again as IMAP.
You can then either refer to this additional account on the new PC as an "archive" or "drag-and-drop" whatever you need into the main account.
Simples.  Wink
If the volumes are small you can also just forward emails individually from the old account on the old machine to the new account on the new machine, without ever adding it to the old machine.
deeteepee

hi there, me again
to the last reply, the problem is I cant access the old pc, its faulty... I wish I could then I could just forward my old mails across!!
to the guy above, I've gone thru the app data folder, this is on my new machine, there isn't ANYTHING in the 'local' folder, it takes me a bit further if I go to 'roaming' but there isn't any sign of windows mail or such like!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That was for Vista - it is different in Windows 7 or 8 which don't use Windows Mail
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

What you need is an adapter to connect your old disk to the new laptop. Similar to one of my "most useful" accessories. Wink
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.