cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Help importing contacts to Webmail

janetmw

Having found this thread I am glad to find out I am not alone! I didn't realise I could access email via PlusNet!

Is there an easy way to transfer my contacts from the Madasafish system to PlusNet's webmail service? I have tried exporting from MAAF and uploading in PN, but the file is not compatible.

Cheers

Janet

5 REPLIES 5
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@janetmw wrote:

Is there an easy way to transfer my contacts from the Madasafish system to PlusNet's webmail service? I have tried exporting from MAAF and uploading in PN, but the file is not compatible.

@janetmw Welcome to the forum. Smiley

When you export your address book from MAAF webmail what file format do you get? Are any alternative export formats available?

David
janetmw

Hello David

Thank you for replying.

When I choose to export my contacts, there is no file extension added or format option given except for 'All Files (*.*)'.

I can open the file in Notepad and the file consists of a 'header' row:

Name,Nickname,E-mail Address,Mobile Phone,Notes,Company,Home Street,Home City,Home State,Home Postal Code,Home Country,Personal Web Page,Business Phone,Home Phone,Home Fax

Followed by all of my contacts list in the following format (I've edited details slightly):

"Alxxxxxur","alxxx1","axxn@sxxx4.freeserve.co.uk","","","","","","","","","","","",""

PN expects a file in vCard format.

Cheers

Janet

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@janetmw

Hello Janet,

The format of that exported contacts file is what is known as "Comma Separated Values". Such files usually have a .csv extension but this might not be shown on your computer if file system options are set to "hide common extensions". The good news is that I found a way convert the file to vCard version 3.0 format and it imported successfully into the Plusnet webmail address book. Smiley

Courtesy of Google I found website http://www.csvtovcard.com/. I downloaded and installed the program mentioned there. (I checked the self-installer file using anti-virus before running it.)

For test purposes I copied the header and contacts line you posted into a file and added a second line which had the x characters replaced by y. I called this file testaddresses.csv.

Next I ran the converter program and used browse to locate and enter testaddresses.csv in its CSV field. This populated the properties display area. I changed nothing there, just clicked the Convert button - and it did. The converted file was called testaddesses.vcf and contained the two VCARD blocks shown below:

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
FN:Alxxxxxur
NICKNAME:alxxx1
EMAIL;TYPE=HOME,INTERNET,pref:axxn@sxxx4.freeserve.co.uk
END:VCARD
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
FN:Alyyyyyur
NICKNAME:alyyy1
EMAIL;TYPE=HOME,INTERNET,pref:ayyn@syyy4.freeserve.co.uk
END:VCARD

This file imported into Plusnet webmail without problems.

The website mentions that the program supports Windows 8/7/Vista/XP. My computer runs Windows Vista 32-bit which is on that list. Windows 10 isn't listed and I do not know if it will work with that.

Hope this helps. Cool

David
janetmw

Many thanks for the information. I will give it a go next time I'm on PC after the weekend.

I hope it helps others as well.

Cheers

Janet

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Topic split and title changed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still