cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding Using Gmail or Outlook As A Client

bazzer
Pro

Question Regarding Using Gmail or Outlook As A Client

If I use either of these as a client for online review, reply and creation of email, can I then download these to my PC using, for example, Thunderbird, and automatically remove the emails from Gmail / Outlook?

9 REPLIES 9
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Question Regarding Using Gmail or Outlook As A Client

Use them as a client for online review of what?  Your Gmail / Outlook email addresses or your Plusnet email addresses?

If you have Gmail, Outlook and Plusnet email addresses, personally I would not touch either of these email clients with a barge pole, you are more than likely to end up being confused.

The Gmail client really does not play nicely with external email addresses, for it only connects as a POP3 client which means Gmail harvests all of your emails from the other email services.  Outlook.com is somewhat kinder, but I suggest creates confusion.

Why do you want to use a browser based email client?

Life would be simpler if on whatever devices you want to access email you set them all up as IMAP clients (but do not use Win10 mail - it does not play nicely).  That way whatever you save to drafts, send or delete will be the same everywhere, so there is not remembering where you sent an item from as happens with POP3 clients.  Then on your chosen back up device, archive emails to local email folders.  The act of archiving them will remove them from the IMAP email servers and leave them only visible on your back up device.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

@Townman  Sorry, this is for review and reply to my Plusnet email account.

The PN provided webmail is continually throwing up errors.

Access via a browser provides convenience when not at home.

If you advise against Gmail and Outlook, and I would prefer not to use Gmail due to the level of access they have to personal data, which client do you think would be best for both online and PC usage?

Thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bazzer wrote:

Access via a browser provides convenience when not at home.

When not at home, on what device would you seek to use a browser?

All mobile devices have a fairly decent in-built email client application which you can use to access your Plusnet email.  Bing out and about does not necessitate using the webmail browser interface, UNLESS you want to access your email on a third party's device, like for example in an internet cafe.

Personally I use Outlook 2016/9 on my computers and the iOS in-built email program on my phone / tablet all configured as IMAP clients.  As an aside I also use a outlook.com email address to provide synchronisation of contacts and calendars across all devices.  The email address itself is not used.

Hope that helps, if not, ask another question.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

Thanks @Townman 

On my phone I use the iPhone mail app.

Primarily, the issue is when I'm at work as I use a browser (Chrome) to access PN Webmail.

I get a lot of errors, documented in another thread on here.

I also use Webmail to delete the emails I do not want to download, spam, suspicious and unwanted emails.

Presumably, I can login to Outlook via Chrome, configure this and the Outlook app on my mobile and PC as IMAP clients which, if I understand correctly, will sync everything?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @bazzer

Thanks for reaching out.

You're right, you should be able to configure your Plusnet email account with Outlook, and should then be able to use if through a third party browser of your choice. For further information on doing this, please check this link out here.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
bazzer
Pro

Thanks, @adam945

I'll take a look at the link you provided.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Great stuff, feel free to give us a shout if you need any further assistance.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bazzer 

Be careful when people refer to "outlook" without qualification.  All of the following are referred to as "outlook" but they are quite different ...

• Outlook 2016/9 on a PC / Tablet / Phone - email client supplied by Microsoft as part of Office365
  • Outlook.com - a browser web based email client (requiring a Microsoft account / email address) which can also be configured to also access other email accounts - doable but messy
  • Win 10 Email (aka Outlook) - a very basic email application which does not play well on mailboxes accessible from multiple devices

I suggest that the following offers a firm strategy

1. On your PCs use Outlook 2016/19 or some other proper email client
  2. On your Apple Devices use the inbuilt iOS email application
  3. Forget about anything else
  • Both 1 & 2 should be configured for IMAP operation
  • Let the mail apps do what they do sync the mailbox content as they change
  • Use the phone to look at emails when not at home
  • Just delete emails you don't want on which any device you have to hand (they will then be removed from the view of all devices)
  • From time to time, archive emails held on the server to a local email folder on your main device - using "proper" Outlook you can automate this

Moderators Note: Post edited as requested.

bazzer
Pro

Thank you @Townman 

I didn't know of the differences between the Outlook applications, I assumed it was all the same.

Appreciate your suggestions and will take a closer look at these during the weekend.

Thanks.