cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with the certificate for smtp.plus.net.

karen53C
Hooked

Problems with the certificate for smtp.plus.net.

I've been a plusnet customer for a long time but i'm pulling my hair out at the moment! My Plusnet emails and my gmails download to my mobile ok and I can send and recieve all email from my mobile with no problems.

Just started using the windows 10 email app on my computer. Set up gmail which took all of 10 mins and works fine. Tried to set up plusnet by following Bob Pullens really clear step by step guide but with no success. The plusnet emails I send are diverted to my outbox.  I've tried different ports, slightly different set ups and worked through as much information as I could find on the Forum with no success.

Today a message popped up across the email app screen saying there seems to be a problem with the certificate for smtp.plus.net:465:1  I deleted the account and re added it again but it still didnt work. How can I sort out the problem with this certificate? What do I need to do? Would the problem with the certificate cause the account set up to fail? 

Many thanks in anticipation.

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Problems with the certificate for smtp.plus.net.

That would be because the correct name for the smtp server is relay.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karen53C
Hooked

Townman I deleted the account and set it up again. My password was wrong! DOH!

Still getting this message though....

Something went wrong. It looks like there is a problem with the certificate for smtp.plus.net

If this is'nt your primary microsoft account delete it then add it again. error code 0x80072f06

I've also ticked SSL for incoming and outgoing emails. is that necessary or not?

Thanks in anticipation.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@karen53C wrote:

Still getting this message though....

Something went wrong. It looks like there is a problem with the certificate for smtp.plus.net

error code 0x80072f06

I've also ticked SSL for incoming and outgoing emails. is that necessary or not?

As advised before..

That would be because the correct name for the smtp server is relay.plus.net 

If you have configured the server names as anything other than "relay.plus.net" then there will be certificate "errors" reported.  There is nothing wrong with the certificate, but everything wrong with the specification of the SMTP server name if you wish to use SSL.

As for the error code, it sounds like you are using the excuse for an email client Win10 Mail (aka Outlook) rather than Outlook 2016/9 (aka Outlook365).  See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-0x80072f06-windows-10/107d3c17-4b2c-4e14... - however I suspect that when you correct the account details, this might well go away.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

karen53C
Hooked

Townman,

Sorted! No error messages appearing now. Plusnet emails finally sending and recieving ok..

Thanks for your help!