cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with email IMAP, 4/7/19 evening, with Microsoft PC client?

d8smt
Rising Star

Problems with email IMAP, 4/7/19 evening, with Microsoft PC client?

Hi all,

Started this evening, can't access my plusnet emails using Microsoft email (Win 10) clients. Tells me the password is incorrect. Across 3 different devices (I did change the password about a week ago, but it was working fine until early evening today).

Password is probably OK since I can still access on my Samsung phone client fine.

Any ideas? Anything changed in the Plusnet settings that I should know about? Have Microsoft started enforcing SSL on thier PC clients as well as their Android apps?

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Problems with email IMAP, 4/7/19 evening, with Microsoft PC client?

Sorry to hear you've been having issues @d8smt.

Are you still having problems this morning?

If it's working fine on other devices you may need to delete your profile and then reset it back up again.

Let us know how you get on

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Matthew,

Nope, still not fixed. I've deleted and readded the account as well. Here's the scenario - if you have any ideas, please let me know.

1. I have a number of mailboxes set up on the plusnet email account: all have different passwords. All except the default email account work fine.

2. The default email account won't connect as of yesterday afternoon if using Windows 10 mail app. It indicates a password problem or that permission is required for the mail app to access the email. IMAP, SMTP settings seem fine. The password must be correct since I can access the mailbox from my samsung email app on my phone, and also MS Oulook on the PC.

3. I did change the password for my account (plusnet main account, which by default I assume also changes the default email password). But this was a week or so ago.

So any ideas? Something must have changed either in the Windows Mail app, or there's a protocol problem possibly (I know Outlook on my phone won't access plunet email because it requires SSL).

thanks

DAve

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks for getting back to us @d8smt.

I'm afraid there's not much further advice we can offer as we aren't trained on individual clients

Some other posters on the community may be able to other further assistance

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@d8smt

Just to be clear - you can access all of your email boxes using webmail (including sending emails) without issue? That fully proves the Mail accounts are working properly and you have the right email passwords.

You are using the Win10 inbuilt email program?

Have you tried running tracert to imap.plus.net and relay.plus.net ?

An email application reporting a ‘password’ error is likely to be something else related to connectivity. Which router are you using?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.