Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Problems with Webmail

PN are making excuses !!  despite what they say , So called fixes are to remove your Emails above 1 gig or to use another Email client .

we are told the have increased Email space , we are told they are looking into it ? Lost count of times they say give us time we will get there !! 

Close to 1,000 posts here and we are NO better than it was on the original POST !!!!!!

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Whizzing along at 06.54 this morning - why can't it always be like this - it's so much nicer to use than Gmail when it's working...

bazzer
Pro

I am mindful of the ongoing issues and the hard work by Plusnet to try and resolve so rather than keep moaning about the service why don't we all pull together and try and help Plusnet through these difficult times?

What I'm proposing is a rota system.

It's clear that the floppy disk holding all of our emails is struggling at times so why don't we take it in turns to log on and access our emails?

Can I start by requesting a morning 0800-0815 slot?

If you all promise not to log on during this time or during other peoples allocated slots then we should be able to achieve a more streamlined service.

Oh, and try not to send emails over 30KB and these can cause undue wear and tear on the disks.

Thank you.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@bazzer Thumbs_Up Funny Cheesy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
drj
Aspiring Pro

Just at the moment webmail's working faster than I think I've ever experienced!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@bazzer wrote:

What I'm proposing is a rota system.

Can I start by requesting a morning 0800-0815 slot?

But that only gives your quarter of an hour, most of us wait longer than that for anything to download. Might I suggest a revision to your times and for ease of remembering perhaps 08:00 - 09:00 ?

bazzer
Pro

Hence why I'm proposing a rota system. If I'm the only one downloading at that slot I should be able to achieve speeds offered by other ISP's that are using more modern equipment such as servers and hard drives, whatever they are. 

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@bazzer wrote:

......... I should be able to achieve speeds offered by other ISP's that are using more modern equipment such as servers and hard drives, whatever they are. 

Allow me to educate you..

These are 'Servers'

6360379121066724221647097196_Wa.jpg

This is a 'Hard Drive'

Driveway2.jpg

Hope that helps? Thumbs_Up

bazzer
Pro

GrinGrin

Which one of those servers is responsible for hand delivering my emails?

drj
Aspiring Pro

At resent it must be Mr Bolt - they're coming in record time!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Mine on the other hand took a long while to download at 13:50 this afternoon.

vanessen
Rising Star

While abroad for 3 weeks recently I was relying on webmail and by choosing the time (I was 5 or 6 hours ahead of UK) I could get fast service.  Back here now and the service is poor:

- 30s or more to display inbox

- 25s or more to get a preview of any message

- try to forward a message - fails once, twice, up to 8 times, then finally sends successfully

And now PN emailed me when abroad to say that I'm taking up more than 1GB of storage, and goes on to say,

We therefore ask if you could spend a minute or two deleting any older and/or unwanted emails, to reduce the size of your mailbox. This is to make sure our servers keep ticking over nicely......

BUT to get the mails in size order takes 30s or more, and then to forward the largest one to my gmail account (where I have 15GB of storage for free) takes a long time and then fails repeatedly, so each one takes a few minutes.  So "a minute or two" is  totally unrealistic.  A few hours maybe.

And in case anyone thinks that PN won't 'archive' your emails, or worse: some years ago (in 2010) PN actually permanently deleted most of my emails after a very short warning, sent when I was on holiday out of internet contact.  This outrageous action is a matter of record - try entering "Plusnet deletes your emails" into Google and you will get the sorry story. 

So while we all hope that PN is going to solve the webmail problems, which started in May 2016 (see the older forum subject 'Webmail - extremely slow' which alone had over 300 posts), I am now very doubtful whether PN seriously wants to keep the service going.  PN's sister company Just-The-Name, the domain registrar, has announced that it will cease trading on 1 July, saying, "We will be investing in other parts of our overall business, ensuring we offer our customers the best service possible in those areas."

Maybe PN will simply concentrate on its mobile business.  Which I will not be subscribing to.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@vanessen

Your story echoes what most other people are experiencing here. I certainly hope Plusnet doesn't decide on doing away with webmail. I use my Plusnet email address as my main form of contact and as such have given it to many people. I certainly wouldn't relish having to contact everyone to advise them that I have a new address. It might be relatively straight forward to notify friends with a group notification but when you also have to inform your bank, your doctor, the hospital, your pensions company, insurers and so on it might take a lot longer and especially as most of those would need to be contacted individually.

People who rely on Plusnet for their email have my deepest sympathy at the moment, I suspect we've all been inconvenienced by this dire service recently. Only the other day I had some medical supplies delivered but as I didn't get to see the notification email from the supplier until after they attempted delivery I didn't know it was arriving and therefore missed the delivery. 

BillP

I just took me over two minutes to shift a message from one folder to another.

Mayfly
All Star

I regularly have to wait 5-6 minutes every morning to download 5-6 emails, mind you on average they do total a massive 180KB Cheesy