Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Extremely poor webmail service from Plusnet

Just chipping in here.  Webmail performance was poor this weekend.  This is unusual as weekends are usually absolutely fine from a performance point of view.  I'm investigating as to what was going on here.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Kelly
Hero

@PacketLoss wrote:

Hey guys, have you tried the trick of using the IP addresses behind webmail.plus.net?

i.e. https://212.159.8.164/ or https://212.159.9.164/

I think it depends on which site your mailbox is hosted but I find the first one works for me.

If anyone is using the IPs, it DOES work, however:

a - You will see an SSL error in your browser you have to click through. This is because the IP doesn't match the name on the certificate you are being given.  Please do not get used to accepting this as this is a browser function to protect you from sites doing bad things.

b - You will often see a "connection error" message on the top of the screen. This doesn't seem to affect the main functionality, and again is the result of the page expecting things to be coming from a url. not an IP.

c - Deleting email doesn't seem to work reliably.  Not sure why, but when run from IP, you can't delete email all the time.

Kelly Dorset
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Kelly What has happened to Webmail.

I went to log in and in a split second I was in looking at a fully populated inbox.

Didn't even have time to start the stopwatch Shocked

Edit: Sorry I went into the Moderators account which has a mere 103 inbox items (at last count)

It was extremely fast though.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Kelly
Hero

Performance generally has been better since about the 18th.   Not fixed, but better.   @Strat What's your mailbox name?  PM it over.

Kelly Dorset
Mav
Fixes: 515

@Strat , @Kelly

That's interesting as logging into the same Moderator's account took around 20 seconds for me just now.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Kelly
Hero

PM me the moderator mailbox name?

Kelly Dorset
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Mav it took me completely by surprise.

It now takes me about 6 or 7 seconds but that previous login was instant from the moment I hit the Login button.

Must have been a fluke.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Mav
Fixes: 515

@Kelly wrote:

PM me the moderator mailbox name?

@Kelly PM sent.

@Strat

It has taken that long for a few weeks for me. There has been times where it has been near instantaneous, though.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

cassuki
Rising Star

Just tried logging into my main webmail account and it took 2 minutes 12 seconds to display the inbox. It does have a lot in it at present (~ 1500) because I haven't had a chance to have a clear out recently but even so, significantly slower than it has been recently.  I then read and delete a few emails, which was quite slow but then after reading one email I tried to return to the mailbox but it failed. It was loading but then stopped and sat there with an empty pain for over 5 minutes so I then logged out.

I then tried logging into a second mailbox I use which only has ~300 emails in it. It displayed the webmail screen with folders down the left-hand side but nothing in the mailbox pane. An error flashed on screen but disappeared before I had a chance to read it. It then sat there for over 5 minutes with no obvious sign it was actually trying to load. I then logged out and back in again.  It took 7 seconds to load the second time.

So it is very inconsistent for me.

Kelly
Hero

Hi all, 

Just a note to say we are still working on this.   My reporting is showing that the platform is performing better than it has done, but still isn't right.

How is your experience?  Are you seeing any time outs?  Delays in page loads?  Or is it performing ok over the last few weeks?

Kelly Dorset
AmigaMan
Rising Star

To be honest it has been abysmal for me over the last few days, timeouts and strange error messages opening on pages with all recent emails missing and trying to delete emails can result in  waiting for over a minute followed by a "Service Unavailable" message. I've just managed to delete a couple of emails now but has been very very poor the last week I would say.

Kelly
Hero

Sad  Sorry about that. I'll take a look at why my reporting isn't reflecting that experience.

Kelly Dorset
AmigaMan
Rising Star

It's still poor this morning. I sent an email to one recipient and, out of interest, I timed how long it took to send before I was returned to the emails page....3 mins 35 seconds!

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Webmail is dreadful this morning - does this give any clues?

Fortunately I've now set up Gmail to download everything from PlusNet so can get emails but still prefer to use PlusNet for sending...

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@drj wrote:

Webmail is dreadful this morning - does this give any clues?

Considering the first post on 'Page 1' was dated October 2016 I'd say it gives plenty of clues!

Plusnet are doing us proud! Literally!!!

Let's face it.., if they can't fix it in 15 months there's little hope of it ever being fixed despite what all these moderators and experts keep telling us.