Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

Re: Webmail speed

MKSlinky,

Those are indeed the settings I changed (sorry, I didn't have time to go into detail) and if you click the "Advanced..." button, you can enter up to 4 DNS server addresses. [Annoyingly, if at any time you revert to "Obtain DNS server address automatically" it throws away the ones you previously entered, not merely greying them out, so keep a note of them somewhere.]

I cannot comment on those DNS server addresses you mention, but then I'm down as a Grafter, not a Seasoned Pro like yourself. Grin  Rely not on rumour is all I would say.

Do please report here whether this works for you.  Also, what is your router model.

Tony (aka AtP)

PS  We are rather off-topic, since this thread is about slow Webmail.  Apart from this problem apparently related to this particular router type, I don't know if client-based email download speed is a common problem.  PlusNet in fact advocates using a mail client to avoid the slow Webmail problems.  I can't believe how long it is taking to fix the latter.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Attila_The_Pun

On the contrary.., I'm no seasoned pro, just a grafter like yourself. Truth be known I know very little about these things and take most of my pointers from other seasoned pros or YouTube videos such as this one by Linus Tech Tips. Make of it what you will Smiley

As for which router I use it's the one supplied by Plusnet 'Hub One' which users cannot change the DNS settings, annoyingly!

Plusnet-Hub-One-Router.jpg

Off topic? How so? Your suggestion was to find alternate ways of improving downloads of webmail was it not?

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

Thanks for that video about 1.1.1.1, which does look interesting. [For some unknown reason, I couldn’t see it at all till I viewed the your post on Edge instead of my regular browser Internet Explorer. It may be Flash-related.]

My crack was about the way this forum classifies posters – it calls you Seasoned Pro and me a Grafter, and it’s largely a mystery to me as to what the criteria are.   Number of posts is no doubt the main factor.

I don’t see why you cannot change the DNS server addresses you use on your device. Surely this is an operating system function, not a router one. You are only changing the settings for the particular device/PC you are using, not settings in the router. (Other devices on the same network could still use automatic DNS selection, or not, as you specify on each one, unless I have misunderstood – I am not an expert.) You showed the relevant panels* in your previous post. What happens if you click “Use the following DNS server addresses:” and then enter your chosen server addresses? In other words, if you tell it not to obtain the DNS server address automatically – the option which was previously selected, but to use your chosen ones? It ought to be accepted.

As to the topic, this thread is about the (sometimes appallingly) slow and erratic performance of PlusNet’s own Webmail front-end, not speed of downloading emails to an email client on a PC or other device, which is something I started a separate thread on (as mentioned). But as you brought it up here, I replied, and now we’ve continued… We could move it to the other (or another) discussion.

I really would like to know if your client-based email speed problem is fixed by a change in DNS server settings. Mine was, though it remains a mystery why other PCs using automatic DNS selection mode on this same wi-fi router were unaffected by the problem in the first place and haven’t needed to use this fix.

My router incidentally is an older one than yours, though apparently highly rated.

AtP

*(Slightly different in my case as the left one is headed Wi-Fi Properties, not Ethernet Properties, since my PC is Wi-Fi connected to the router, and yours is presumably hooked up with a cable (?))

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can use any DNS you want.

If your PC sends a DNS request to 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1 or whatever and receives a valid reply containing the relevant IP address, then the DNS settings in your router won't get activated and everything is perfectly fine.

Your email speed should never be affected by the speed of DNS since after you've resolved the mail server address, you didn't ought to be doing any more name resolutions?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

[This particular line of posts should be shifted to another thread, as it is off-topic.  But while we are still here....]

You can use any DNS you want.

If your PC sends a DNS request to 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1 or whatever and receives a valid reply containing the relevant IP address, then the DNS settings in your router won't get activated and everything is perfectly fine.

Thanks.  That's what I thought, and is what I was trying to say, albeit lengthily.

Your email speed should never be affected by the speed of DNS since after you've resolved the mail server address, you didn't ought to be doing any more name resolutions?

Shouldn't be affected, but patently is affected. Your question mark is appropriate!  With a change of this setting - even explicitly to use PlusNet's own published DNS server addresses, the speed is normal, but when automatic DNS server address resolution is specified, email download to Outlook on my PC takes much, much longer.  I mentioned in the other thread (https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/POP3-emails-throttled-on-PlusNet-broadband-affects-both-PN-a... that a mere 106 KBytes were downloaded in 15 minutes, and this on a line which delivers 17 Mbits/sec (tested).! 

It is really best that you look there and that this particular line of discussion be moved there.

Other seasoned pros on this forum have looked at this phenomenon, and it is still a mystery why it is just one PC affected here (mine) using this router, and a mystery why this change fixes it.  Some weird interplay between Outlook 2016, my particular PC and this router, it seems.  Given the workaround, I live with it.  I brought it up here because it might have helped another who reported a similar problem of slow email downloads to an email client, and might have led to an explanation - if it worked

AtP

JJFGB

And none of this stuff about DNS and downloading email relates to the topic which is specifically about the webmail service. 

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

Exactly, which is why I would like my posts and the various replies moved to the other thread, if there's a way to do it. How do I flag it up to moderators?  [Update - now done that.]

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

https://easydns.com/blog/2011/05/02/dns-speeds-debunked/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.