Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Webmail speed

@spraxyt wrote:

@spraxyt wrote:

Webmail now "works" most of the time, albeit with various degrees of slowness.

Various degrees of slowness? It's slow all the time, even at weekends!!

bazzer
Pro

It was Henry the 2nd of England referring to Thomas Becket that once said "Will no rid me of this troublesome priest"

This phrase came to me this morning whilst, yet again, I wait for the error ridden webmail to deliver my emails.

bazzer
Pro

We've been told before to regularly delete emails off the server. I deleted a number of mails earlier and now they are back again!

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

As you may know if you read this topic frequently I now use Gmail instead.

However I thought I'd log onto PlusNet email to see how it was now - so I've just done so, counted up to 153 (i.e. seconds) and got a timed out message.

So, basically, Webmail is unusable at 12.30pm on a Saturday afternoon...

EDIT - I can access other folders but the Inbox refuses to load. Just deleted 99 emails in my Deleted folder to see

if I can replicate the above.

AmigaMan
Rising Star

Yes I gave up this morning. Timed out every time. I've just managed to get emails up now. I've not tried deleting any yet though.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I've set up Thunderbird on my PC & get emails via IMAP which mostly works, provided I do this frequently.

Most email goes to Gmail + I take backups of Gmail onto my PC.

I also take backups of the backups on my PC to external devices.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bazzer
Pro

I use Webmail to A) allow me to view incoming mails when I'm not at home and B) to delete the spam and mails I do not want before I download everything I wish to keep on my PC.

Therefore I do not have hundreds or thousands of mails on PN servers so cannot be accused of clogging up their system yet still the performance is frequently slow and unresponsive.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Don't know how this issue is progressing but Webmail is running a lot livelier these days, for me at least.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Well I've just tried and I have to agree - at least with the minimal contents I've got there now.

Still takes ten seconds to load my Inbox.

However I gave up on PlusNet webmail months ago now. Switched to Gmail where I already had my email archive stored.

It's SO much better than PlusNet Email in almost everything except Compose - which is infuriating to use since it doesn't display all the headers. Searching is an absolute DREAM to use and so quick!

Strat
Community Veteran

14 seconds from clicking 'Login' to a fully populated Inbox of 1271 messages.

By recent standards that is flying... and very workable.

To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
VileReynard
Hero

But Plusnet have gained a very bad reputation for reliable email.

Strat
Community Veteran

Agreed. They have some pretty long bridges to rebuild.

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

As somebody who rarely uses Webmail and prefers to download my messages via my email client I see no changes in the last two years except maybe that the service has gotten worse!! Typically my emails take an average of 3-5 minutes to download most days which is pretty poor if you ask me.

I have only just spotted this, as I rarely look at the thread now.

I am not clear from the above comment whether you are/were suffering slow email downloads on your email client or on PlusNet Webmail, but if the former, you may be interested in the following:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/POP3-emails-throttled-on-PlusNet-broadband-affects-both-PN-a...

I was experiencing extremely slow email downloads to Outlook 2016 (Office 365) after it underwent an 'upgrade', but it turned out (as you can see) to be related to DNS server address resolution in the PlusNet router, and I got round it by substituting (at first) Google's DNS server addresses in my network definitions (instead of leaving the router to do the job) and later the PlusNet ones (better than having Google spy on me) - see message https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/POP3-emails-throttled-on-PlusNet-broadband-affects-both-PN-a....  If you are experiencing slow downloads of emails to your email client, it would be worth reading this thread right through.

If I remove this setting and revert to letting the PlusNet router do the business, then the problem returns, so I am continuing to use the explicit DNS addressing.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Attila_The_Pun

Are you referring to the settings as found in these windows? If so did you change the TCP/IPv4 ?

I heard the other day that it's better to use 1.1.1.1 as the preferred DNS and 1.0.0.1 as the alternate 

Adapter Settings.JPG

VileReynard
Hero

Actually, a DNS lookup only leaks your IP address and the name of the web-site plus date & time. This is not very useful to Google unless it is used in conjunction with the embedded Google code found on most websites.