Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Webmail speed

It is much more like not wanting to say anything until all contributory factors have been eliminated. Various culprits have been identified and eliminated giving some improvements only to expose other pinch points. Work continues...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

"pure vile speculation"

Typo or language not befitting a superuser?

bazzer
Pro

"pure vile speculation"

I saw it as a joke - a play on words given the posters user name Smiley

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Townman

Information on what the problems are and what has been done or eliminated as a cause or contributing factor would help to manage customers' expectations. You probably have more information than most, but more frequent updates from Plusnet to us ordinary customers would be appreciated.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I completely agree with you @maranello and have on many occasions requested the same through the SU channel.  The sentiment is though as I suggested … and NDAs prevent me sharing details, but suffice to say it is not the "nothing is happening" scenario some would here have us believe.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Townman

In which case speculation is to be expected, vile or otherwise, and you should not be making discouraging comments to other contributors to this thread, or if made in jest then more clearly and unambiguously.

My other car isn't a Ferrari
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

As somebody who rarely uses Webmail and prefers to download my messages via my email client I see no changes in the last two years except maybe that the service has gotten worse!! Typically my emails take an average of 3-5 minutes to download most days which is pretty poor if you ask me.

I don't believe for one minute that Plusnet have done anything about this problem, why would they if it's a free service?

Like it or lump it if you're a Plusnet customer we have to accept this poor service whatever, the alternative is to find a better ISP.

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Or don't use ISP based email...
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

MKSlinky opined :"Like it or lump it if you're a Plusnet customer we have to accept this poor service whatever, the alternative is to find a better ISP."

No it's not. I switched to Gmail several months ago - and it's generally excellent if a little obscure to use at times. What I have realised is that the search routine is astoundingly good, being accurate and exceedingly quick.

It helped of course that I'm using my own domain names so only had to switch the direction they were sent in not change my email address.

My Plusnet service otherwise is really pretty good. Being in a village we're saddled here with slow internet, but I'm getting up to twice the speed of my neighbours. And all for less than £20pm

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Browni wrote:
Or don't use ISP based email...

Good point perhaps if you're a new P-net customer but I joined a few years ago and use my P-net account as my primary email address. I don't relish having to notify my entire address book that I've changed email address again!

Browni
Aspiring Hero

You've just highlighted one of the main benefits of keeping your email separate from your ISP.
I've got my own domain but even using gmail or outlook.com for your email will prevent the issue you mention.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Fair comment, I do have a Gmail address too but I use that for spam mainly. Ironically downloading messages from Gmail via Windows 10 Mail app takes less than 10 seconds, if only P-Net were that capable, I'm sure we would all find good use for all the extra time on our hands.

I don't tend to switch ISP that often and P-Net broadband seems pretty reliable, it's just a shame the rest of the service doesn't come up to scratch.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It is possible (but difficult) to archive all emails on your PC and then to upload them to a better email system.

Buying a domain for your email and hosting it is not a zero-cost option.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Browni
Aspiring Hero

It's not free but hardly breaks the bank Smiley
£6.99 per year for the domain & 69p per month for 5 mailboxes.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@spraxyt wrote:

Webmail now "works" most of the time, albeit with various degrees of slowness. However this evening (08/07/2018) with one of my mailboxes it appeared to be in a confused state, All my folders disappeared from view. Usually this is a symptom of subscriptions being lost - but these included the default folders

This morning (09/07/2018) Apple mail on my iPad showed a different mailbox with sub-folders missing. It had probably been like that overnight, I hadn't looked. Can't blame this one on webmail so possibly last night's incident was down to misinformation from the storage platform, not a webmail fault.

David