rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Webmail speed

And definately worse now Sad  18.25   20/04/2018

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
jjlothin
Grafter

I am so so SO tired of the rubbish service I get from Plusnet Webmail. Not everyone wants to have their emails following them around all day (i.e. I don't access want to access them via my smartphone), but I do sometimes need to check into my Plusnet account when I'm at my work computer.

But the last few times I've tried, it simply isn't possible - the page hangs, and hangs, and hangs ... then times out.

Come on, Plusnet - this IS the 21st century!

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

I seem to recall someone once said that we should use an IMAP client as opposed to Webmail which should overcome some of bottleneck issues. Yeah right, pull the other one, I only ever use an IMAP client and it's SLOW SLOW SLOW!!!!!! On average my emails take around 3-4 minutes to download which is completely unacceptable. 

Complaining in this forum has gotten us nowhere and Plusnet continue to drag their heals with this issue. Sure we've all heard their pitiful excuses about not being able to identify the exact cause but does anyone really believe that? I certainly don't. If Plusnet were a political party they would have been branded as liars and cheats long ago.

The best any of us can do right now is express our dissatisfaction via other means, I use 'ThinkBroadband' to vent my own frustrations and at least my monthly reviews help dissuade other potential customers from joining.

jjlothin
Grafter

Thanks for the 'Think Broadband' tip, MKSlinky - sounds like it's worth trying, in this vain attempt to get Plusnet to LISTEN!

And I will try it - if I ever finish dealing with ******* Microsoft who, yet again, have totally screwed my office PC with the latest Windows update.

If I didn't have to earn a living (and I had the strength), I would throw my computer out of the window. Ticked_off

Walter
Rising Star

I've been with Plus Net since the year dot and they have generally performed very satisfactory. So far the webmail is still an issue and I use it occasionally here's hoping they can solve the speed issue.

M$ is another problem I have avoided successfully over the last 12 years by using an open source LInux based system called Ubuntu, it is free to download and use, there is good on line help. Why not give the latest 2018 version a try  if you've not yet tried it. >  see here <

and >download here <

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

jjlothin
Grafter

Many thanks for the Ubuntu tip, Walter Smiley ! I daren't try experimenting with it on the Office computer - my boss also uses it with his own log-in and he is even less techy than I am! - but I may well give that a try on my home pc when M$ next start driving me insane.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Linux can be run in memory and booted from DVD or USB as a trial.

No disks are hurt in this process. Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

nicki77
Grafter

Well PlusNet's webmail is really working well today.  Getting IMAP errors on both the normal webmail and the basic webmail.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I can live to a certain extent with the current ongoing problems with webmail.....

Until my daughter needs to send a couple of important (money involved) emails.

I get it in the neck because I have a closer relationship with Plusnet than she does.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bazzer
Pro

Current as in 2 years?

It's become normal service now in fact if, god forbid, it performed as it should do I'd be quite lost without this thread.

I'd have return to that life where I used to wander down the park each day and feed the ducks.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Webmail now "works" most of the time, albeit with various degrees of slowness. However this evening with one of my mailboxes it appeared to be in a confused state, All my folders disappeared from view. Usually this is a symptom of subscriptions being lost - but these included the default folders

I logged out and in again and they returned, but with actual folder names - the show actual names checkbox in Special Folders had become ticked. Unticked that and saved changes, and back to normal. Huh

David
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Plusnet are still making occasional random changes in the vain hope of fixing it, then.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Given we have zero knowledge of what is being done, we are not in a position to know if the changes are random, tactical, strategic or in vain. Your words are therefore pure vile speculation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Richard-261
Grafter

I'd stopped posting to this thread, as my webmail worked pretty much every time, albeit a bit slow, but the last few days it has been horrendously slow, so slow to load on a couple of occasions that I gave up waiting.

I don't want to 'slag off' the people trying to fix it, but after two years, surely it would be possible to at least decide where the problem lay (hardware or software) and change the offending item?

2 strokes good - 4 strokes bad : George Orwell.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Townman wrote:
Given we have zero knowledge of what is being done, we are not in a position to know if the changes are random, tactical, strategic or in vain. 

And therein lies the problem. Plusnet are either clueless as to what the problems are, or don't want to inform customers in case the information is damaging to their reputation. In the meantime this public forum becomes populated by ongoing complaints about the Webmail service performance year on year without any sign of a lasting fix

My other car isn't a Ferrari