Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Extremely poor webmail service from Plusnet

There are always different possibilities...

• Nothing has been done to attempt to fix it
  • The problem is darned hard and complex and has eluded investigation and resolution

Much has already been done to attempt resolutions as reported here ... what's left is ... darned hard and complex ... if it were simples, it would not still be an issue. Cool_smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

For the sake of saving Plusnet's otherwise reasonably good reputation would it not be simpler if they just admitted defeat and scrap Webmail altogether? No doubt a reduction in our monthly premiums to cover this loss would appease most people and we could all move to a mail platform which does work. Simples.....! 😉

Just thinking aloud...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Your suggested presumes you know where the issues are.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

How so? 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MKSlinky wrote:

... just admitted defeat and scrap Webmail altogether? 

That statement somewhat suggests that you are sure that the issues are within the WEBMAIL part of the solution.  As I have suggested many times, if it were that simples, it would have been fixed a long time ago.  Experience of trouble-shooting complex IT system issues, informs me that if a problem proves difficult to resolve, then the problem is usually very complex and the precise point(s) of failure are usually not in the obvious places.

You don't have to use the webmail interface - you can use any email program to access email via IMAP / SMTP - which are less susceptible to timing issues. 

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There have been periodic issues with Plusnet's mail system over many, many years - not just the current issues with webmail. Either they are not allocating sufficient resources, or they don't have enough staff with the correct knowledge to sort it out. Or perhaps it's a combination. Are the staff saying we need to do X and it will cost Y and the bean counters are blocking it?

I wouldn't go as far as MKSlinky and say scrap it altogether, but given it is obvious that Plusnet cannot get a decent reliable mail system together and keep it running efficiently, perhaps they should take a leaf out of their owners book and outsource it to an organisation that does know how to run a mail system with a large user base.

In the past (going back several years) Plusnet have been open about what the issues actually are and shared their plans for what they intended to do to address the issues. Now all that is forthcoming are endless apologies and statements that "we are doing something" with no indication of what that "something" is. Some of those statements are from long standing members of staff who I respect and who have in the past been far more open about what is actually going on. Instead, all we get are posts from shills trying to shoot down other users making critical posts saying they don't understand how complicated it all is.

Yes, we know it is complicated - and apparently beyond Plusnet's capability or resources to fix!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@jelv,

The reference to "Shills" I find offensive and I rather expected better of you.  For the avoidance of doubt I do not work for Plusnet, but as one of the SUs we do have some visibility of what is happening.  You'll just need to trust me that it is being worked on.

As someone well versed in how things are done in the IT world, I'm sure you'll realise that what may be stated is limited by confidentiality agreements.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've been biting my tongue on this topic for many weeks. There have been a significant number of posts by some users which have taken the pressure off Plusnet. I am well aware of confidentiality agreements. If the SUs are aware of what is going on and there are plans in progress you would do well to encourage Plusnet to be more forthcoming and not leave all the users who don't enjoy your privileges in the dark!

bazzer
Pro

I have been a PN customer for many years.

I created the "Webmail - Extremely Slow" thread in May 2016 when I began experiencing the issues we are still talking about today but now under another thread of a different title.

Nearly 2 years since my original thread was created and yet this problem has not been resolved.

For all the promises that the issues will be resolved nothing has.

It's an absolute disgrace.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I complained to Bill Gates that 640KB wasn't enough, the full industry is a disgrace!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

I am no expert but after reading posts here i do realize that the problem does not have a easy fix .

But the thing is i only get a minimum of Emails , so i don't see why i should install another Client when all i need is Web mail ,

so has it improved ? hard to say as its intermittent the best time to check Emails is early hours as its pretty snappy then but as the day goes on it struggles .

Do i think it will get better ?  no !! all you have to do is read here complaints are slowing down as customers see no improvement so why post , when nothing will get done ! .

I feel plusnet does have the will or knowhow to fix the problem and will not spend the money needed to replace the present service , and are hoping when customers move to a Email client the problem will just go away Angry

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

@Townman wrote:

You don't have to use the webmail interface - you can use any email program to access email via IMAP / SMTP - which are less susceptible to timing issues. 

Sorry I'm a little late replying here but since the question was raised....,

It might surprise you to note that I don't use webmail, I never have apart from the odd couple of occasions when I didn't have an email program installed. Ok, so my reference to using webmail might have been an incorrect reference (I'm no expert) but as far as I'm aware email programs access the same servers as do webmail. My experience with email is no better and often I have to wait several minutes watching a spinning orb of death while my email program tries to sync and download my messages. Yes there have been a small handful of occasions where email did work really quickly, I think I even posted as such, but I haven't seen those kinds of service for a very long time, except maybe at weekends. Presumably this issue has more to do with workload on the servers during peak times than anything else? Again I'm no expert.

There's been lots of speculation here over the causes of this issue and likewise there have been lots of comments about how hard it is to track the fault, we hear the same old excuses over and over which frankly I no longer believe. For me personally and as an end user I don't care about excuses, I just want the service to work. I think we've all waited long enough!

bazzer
Pro

I agree, I'm not interested in the excuses any more and false hope that PN are actually doing something to rectify.

Does anyone think that if we phoned PN month after month to say sorry, but we can't pay the full amount this month as I need the money for boiler repairs or a new pair of jeans or the vets fees etc. etc. etc.

We know what would happen if we didn't pay the full amount but it seems OK for PN to take the full amount for a partially broken service.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

You make a good point but it all boils down to whether Webmail is included as part of our contract and is chargeable or whether it's a free addition. I seem to recall someone mentioned a while back that it's a free service.

I've not checked but I'm guessing that if you can't take Webmail as a standalone free service then it must be part of our contract, presumably meaning we are paying for it. Perhaps someone more in the know can answer that one?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you leave Plusnet you can pay £1.06 per month to keep the email service.