rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Extremely poor webmail service from Plusnet

Horrendously slow this morning Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Can go totally out of character here?

Since I started storing email on my PC via Thunderbird and keeping Plusnet email inbox sizes extremely small, I've had no real problems. It's not stupendously fast, but it doesn't close to timing out.

Obviously not ideal, but it's a reasonable workaround (for me).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Useful feedback for everyone.

It has been stated that it is known that the size of email boxes does have a bearing on the issue, but it is not a simple one just of the size ... it is rather an aggravating factor in the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

colbrad
Grafter

I wasn't aware of this. Is this from an official source?

My inbox / sent / drafts folders etc have never amounted to more than 20% of the total allowance and yet when the amount is lower after a junk folder clear out it makes no difference to load times / annoying disconnections.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

I did not say or intend to suggest it is the key cause of the issues, but it is an aggravating factor. I have no metrics to indicate at what point size makes matters worse, but I have seen marked differences between mailboxes having 1,000s of items and ones having just a few handfuls.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Townman i only have a handfull of Emails , i just checked now its not as bad as this morning ,,, But its still bad Sad

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
bazzer
Pro

As per @VileReynard I have most of my emails on Thunderbird and keep webmail to a minimum although at present I have about 500 emails in there as I haven't got round to tidying it up.

Webmail is loading reasonably quick at the moment but on some days with far fewer mails it can be slow and display error messages so who knows what the rights and wrongs are.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@bazzer,

It would be folly to presume that there is just one factor which contributes to the variable performance perceived.  There are numerous factors which contribute to 'system stress' ... one two or more are gathered together and the wind is from left-field the same symptoms might be seen.

Out of interest, for those who regularly see the symptoms...

• what's the refresh interval? Settings -> Preferences tab -> User Interface -> Refresh
  • is mail preview switched on? Settings -> Preferences tab -> Mailbox view -> Show preview pane
  • what's the mail item page size in use? Settings -> Preferences tab -> Mailbox view -> Rows per page
  • what's the Check all folders for new messages setting? Settings -> Preferences tab -> Mailbox view -> Check all folders

The refresh interval being too low is going to hammer the IMAP servers - making this a sensible number of minutes (certainly longer than the 3 minute request timeout duration) might take significant strain off the IMAP server to the benefit of all users.  Indeed, setting it to manual and using the mailbox manual refresh button might be even better.

Mail preview with a short duration mark as read will generate a lot of traffic to / from the IMAP server.  Switching preview off and explicitly reading emails in a pop-up might also be found to be beneficial.

Retrieving fewer items per page might reduce the size of each IMAP server request.

If email is arranged in multiple folders, not checking those other than the inbox might again reduce the query load on the IMAP servers.

As I have just observed, changing these individually might not deliver individual improvement, however if enough users give it a go, we might just see some benefit.  If not, then there's not a lot lost beyond collectively giving it a go.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

This is getting serious now. Not only is Webmail refusing to load but I now can't get my phone to load either. Previously that's always been the fallback position when I couldn't use webmail. The phone is showing "Last synced 09:19" and despite repeated attempts it won't update. I'm trying to sign up to a new internet service that requires a verified email - but I can't do it.

PLEASE SORT IT OUT ONCE AND FOR ALL !!!!!!

EDIT - 10 minutes later. Of course having written that ten minutes later my phone and webmail are now working properly again. I assume that was a temporary outage.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It could have been a number of things - as per my previous post - do not presume a single cause but rather the possibility of complex concurrency in the technology stack.

drj
Aspiring Pro

Refresh - 10 minutes

Preview - sometimes on and sometimes off - it's quicker going through emails to have it on

Number of items per page - 50

All folders - checked - otherwise would it not omit the Junk folder where certain legitimate emails continue to arrive? It's impossible to whitelist everything and clicking the "This is not Spam" button merely moves it - it doesn't  change subsequent occurrences.

PacketLoss
Dabbler

Hey guys, have you tried the trick of using the IP addresses behind webmail.plus.net?

i.e. https://212.159.8.164/ or https://212.159.9.164/

I think it depends on which site your mailbox is hosted but I find the first one works for me.

Tags (1)
drj
Aspiring Pro

Both those show invalid certification and even when whitelisted and both are showing as "Connection Error" although both are actually working - just as slowly...

Attila_The_Pun
Rising Star

@Townman wrote:

@bazzer,

It would be folly to presume that there is just one factor which contributes to the variable performance perceived.  There are numerous factors which contribute to 'system stress' ... one two or more are gathered together and the wind is from left-field the same symptoms might be seen.

Out of interest, for those who regularly see the symptoms...

• what's the refresh interval? Settings -> Preferences tab -> User Interface -> Refresh
  • is mail preview switched on? Settings -> Preferences tab -> Mailbox view -> Show preview pane
  • what's the mail item page size in use? Settings -> Preferences tab -> Mailbox view -> Rows per page
  • what's the Check all folders for new messages setting? Settings -> Preferences tab -> Mailbox view -> Check all folders

The refresh interval being too low is going to hammer the IMAP servers - making this a sensible number of minutes (certainly longer than the 3 minute request timeout duration) might take significant strain off the IMAP server to the benefit of all users.  Indeed, setting it to manual and using the mailbox manual refresh button might be even better.

Mail preview with a short duration mark as read will generate a lot of traffic to / from the IMAP server.  Switching preview off and explicitly reading emails in a pop-up might also be found to be beneficial.

Retrieving fewer items per page might reduce the size of each IMAP server request.

If email is arranged in multiple folders, not checking those other than the inbox might again reduce the query load on the IMAP servers.

As I have just observed, changing these individually might not deliver individual improvement, however if enough users give it a go, we might just see some benefit.  If not, then there's not a lot lost beyond collectively giving it a go.

Kevin,

I agree completely. However...

Since all the people reading this thread represent (I surmise) a very small proportion of PN Webmail users, and of those only an uncertain proportion will actually take heed of what you say, your valiant effort with good advice here is unlikely to have enough impact. I think PlusNet itself needs to take executive action to limit the load on IMAP (and POP3) servers, for the benefit of all.  They could, for example, set the minimum refresh interval selectable to 6 or maybe 10 minutes, and put an explainer (or a link to one) on the Preferences / User Interface screen, which would tell the user that this is to improve performance and at the same time remind them they can use the "Check for new messages" button if they need their new emails rightnowmost.   It would be to the benefit of all, perhaps effecting a major improvement in Webmail performance - who knows?  Other preference settings may be worth PN's attention too. How does one get PlusNet to address this?  Might be one for @bobpullen?

It is clearly a dreadful waste of system resources to have devices sitting there getting a refreshed display of emails every three minutes, when the user may not even be looking or present, on account of leaving the computer on while going shopping, having lunch or a nap etc., or at best just working on another window.  Quite possibly, they have gone away to cool down after the frustration of dealing with the intermittent dreadful performance of Webmail!  I've done that.

Through being only an occasional user of PN Webmail - I use Outlook normally, but now have* to use Webmail every few days (see footnote) - I had not altered or even looked at my Preference settings for many years, and had even forgotten that the refresh facility existed - I always just click the 'Check for new messages' button when I need to see new emails, and would in fact be content with that.  I have now set the refresh interval to 10 minutes.  That's my drop in the ocean.

AtP

* (This is all because of an apparent error in Outlook 2016 which (a) causes Outlook to fail to delete my emails from the server when the number of days I have specified for delayed deletion (in the email account details within the Outlook email profile) has expired, and (b) frequently delivers me all my emails in the server, even the ones already previously downloaded to Outlook, causing a build-up of duplicates.   I therefore have to keep manually deleting old emails off the server by way of Webmail - wnen it works.  The said non-deletion fault is the subject of a thread elsewhere, and in theory is being looked into by MS Support.)

drj
Aspiring Pro

Another (new?) connected problem.

When I go to my Junk folder the "Loading" message stays for a considerable time (several minutes). If I try to flag an email as "Not Spam" during that period it reports it as marked as Spam. I have to wait for the message to disappear.