Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Problems with Webmail

@Townman i dont pretend to understand how the Email server works .

But after 12 months of trying to fix it obviously its impossible , Would it not make sence to BY now make a decison it cant be fixed.

And it would be easier to have built a NEW server from a fresh start ?

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@rongtw,

Your understandable presumptions about what the service is and how it might be fixed are at the heart of common misunderstanding here.

The "webmail" system consists of more than just "A SERVER".  It is a collective of many services run on multiple servers across a number of data centres.  In broad terms, a mail system consists of the following services...

• File store for the storage of emails
  • POP / IMAP server enabling user access to the file store for reading, writing and sending of emails
  • Webmail webserver email client to access the above (or user's own email clients)
  • A database for holding user account information
  • The physical hardware which hosts the above - typically virtualised on server farms - distributed across a number of data centres
  • Network interconnections for the above - between services and physical locations
  • Load balancers to share the work out across the above

The danger here is presuming that the problem is easy to locate in the above technology and that replacing the "mail" bit will resolve it.  The technology stack here is substantial.  The problem is not likely to be easy to fully profile.  It works some of the time but not all of the time.  To fix this, it is necessary to identify the profile of the failure ... when, where, how, why does it fail? Only then can a resolution be identified.  The other danger here is presuming that there is just one cause - complex systems can have multiple stress points ... fix one and soon after another one appears.

The volume of email being processed is growing year on year ... unfortunately it is estimated that 54% to 70%+ (depending on which research you read) of that volume is spam.  You might recall that with the recent upsurge of spam circulating, performance took a nose dive again.  It also does not help where users "abuse" the email service by setting (or manually causing) their email clients to refresh their local mail boxes every few seconds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@Townman Thanks for your Explanation Thumbs_Up

Its more than Plusnet have said in way of any excuse and give customers a better insight to the problem .

on a personal thought would you believe that 12 months is a resonable timescale for a fix to have been found ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Difficult to comment here - I am, as a Super User, under NDA constraints: I do have insight into the complexity of the service and the substantial effort / activity undertaken to resolve this issue.  It is though one of those "When the obvious and easy has been eliminated and still not solved the issue, then the cause must be obscure and difficult" problems.

In my professional career I have seen such issues before ... is 12 months reasonable ... difficult question to answer ... a lot of things have been changed over the 12 months, which have delivered some improvements, but not fully resolved the problems, but have helped make clearer where the root cause might be, which is not where (as an ex-professional IT technical manager) I would have considered looking in the first place.

As for your comment on Plusnet's quietness on the problem, I can tell you from personal experience, no professional IT support guy (or gal) feels comfortable saying "I just do not know, I am still looking" - generally management have little insight into the complexity of technology and the difficulty of diagnosing issues.  All too often diagnostics have to be crafted to profile the problem, which is in its self a mammoth job.  All too often when issues are resolved, management's question is "Why is it always the last thing you thought of which resolves the issue ... why did you not consider that first?". Cool_smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aries99
Hooked

Webmail is running very, very slow at the moment. Still not loading webmail after 15 minutes "Loading..."  just goes on and then nothing, timed out. This is Plusnets Snail email service not a superfast email.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Inbox won't load at all here - all I'm getting is the folder list on the left.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I wonder if it is possible for the user to run webmail as a multi-process application?

E.g. launch 10 tabs, all trying to download from the same inbox?

It might be worth trying as if the web server is queuing requests for email, you just might get to the front of the queue before being timed out.

Highly anti-social of course, but if Plusnet can't fix it...

Personally, I don't have problems with email but that is because

• a) I don't get much email, and
  • b) I use Thunderbird with IMAP to read email, and
  • c) All email is archived to my PC and backed up on a daily basis.

So effectively, I don't actually use webmail and I don't leave email in my in my Plusnet inbox for more than a few hours.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@VileReynard wrote:

E.g. launch 10 tabs, all trying to download from the same inbox?

Whilst the service is experiencing intermittent issues known to be exacerbated by load, then I really don't think this would be to the benefit of anybody Shocked

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

its really slow today Sad

bazzer
Pro

Agreed. Same here.

jjlothin
Grafter

Extremely poor webmail service from Plusnet

Over the past few weeks or months, I find it almost impossible to access my Plusnet emails via webmail on my work desktop computer. Eventually the inbox opens (usually) - but then it hangs, and hangs, and hangs, and hangs till the emails become visible. And then, should I be foolish enough to open one of the emails, again it hangs, and hangs, and hangs, and hangs ... It's not even possible to log out!

This is nothing to do with the computer itself which was new a few months ago and relatively speedy.

In my own experience (and I've been a customer for many years), the Plusnet webmail system has always been clunky. Is Plusnet ever going to sort their webmail out?

Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Extremely poor webmail service from Plusnet

Moderator's note:

Above post merged.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just tried webmail again out of interest and it was as quick as I've ever seen - around 20 seconds which is OK considering there's quite a lot of emails in the mailbox!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yeah, overnight and most weekends performance is fine.     Yesterday wasn't great (any experience of that on here?) but today it seems to be working ok.

@jelv Got time for a quick login to see how it is this afternoon in comparison?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Kelly Request times out after about 3-4 minutes (it's the mailbox for this forum account) - it has got a lot of messages and I'm expecting to see it archived any day now.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)