Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: webmail is sooooooooo slooooooow

@rongtw,

If only it were that simple of being able to point to a bit of anything and say "That's the bit, let's rip out and rebuild". Analogies are usually dangerous, but it's a bit like an intermittently noisy phone line. You don't know where the noise is coming from ... and when you seek to investigate the noise ain't there.

To fix or replace something, one has to locate the problem component. As I suggest, this is complex - we can see the smoke, but not the gun.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've had a Murray Walker moment - I spoke too soon!

Webmail this evening is virtually useless - ground to a halt and only occasionally lists folders.

HOWEVER

I've opened webmail in Chrome (Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)) - rather than Firefox (56.0 64-bit) - and it's MUCH more responsive - still slower than of late but at least I can get the inbox to list and I can read emails.

Mav
Fixes: 514

No problems here showing 90 or so messages in around 1 second or less using FF56.0.1.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I'm getting this at the moment with no population of my Inbox.

Server error.JPG

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
AmigaMan
Rising Star

@Kelly  I appreciate that. It's been a bit slow today but, yes, a lot better than yesterday. Thanks. I'm sure you are working on it as it's not in your interests to give people poor performance. I guess we all get a bit frustrated because, let's face it, we do rely on email for a lot of things these days.

kmilburn
Grafter

I've not been having much luck today..

In 8 hours,  I've succeeded in getting the inbox displayed twice, all other attempts have resulted in both Chrome and Firefox cancelling the request for the email after 3 minutes without a response.

Mav
Fixes: 514

Just checked and it is a lot slower for me today taking just over a minute to populate around 90 messages in the inbox.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

slow for me to @Mav  and i only have 4 messages Lips_are_sealed

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
AmigaMan
Rising Star

I have only managed to get emails once and it appears emails from the last 5 days or so have vanished!? ALl attempts to get emails in the last few hours have failed. I just get an error message that someone else posted above.

AmigaMan
Rising Star

Re: Problems with Webmail

I've just managed to get emails up after an hour of "Service Unavailable" messages. A shame it's got to this state again.

colbrad
Grafter

I've only recently been able to download emails sent to me earlier today.
Still using my Gmail account to read online as advised months ago by Plusnet as a reliable workaround for not being able to access Plusnet Webmail.
I'm stupidly paying for this 'service' too.

vanessen
Rising Star

I have checked my Plusnet webmail today - 46 seconds to load the first 100 messages.  Far too slow!

So, I am very glad that I no longer use Plusnet's pathetic webmail - I've taken my domain away and use use Fastmail.  The process was not easy and if anyone is 'stuck' with their own domain locked into PlusNet, I'm happy to offer comments, but be prepared for a painful extraction. 

Plusnet's complete failure, for around 2 years now, to fix the apparently simple problem of slow webmail, plus the lack of up-to-date features and maintenance on both versions (Squirrelmail and RoundCube), plus the very limited storage allowance (1GB) made me extremely disillusioned with Plusnet and I was unwilling to renew my broadband contract with them.  However a good offer for 18 months was made and I took it up, and have been pleased with the speed and general reliability (we have 'fibre to the cabinet' and with a new router now get up to 38Mbps for downloads).  I have been completely unable to contact Plusnet in any way to congratulate them, so I hope this serves in some way.

- Chris van Essen -

bazzer
Pro

@vanessen It is very disappointing to say the least. PN used to be superb. You were able to phone them up and get through to them with minimal wait time.

Any issues were dealt with little fuss and downtime.

It went downhill once BT bought them.

My neighbour recently said he was going to move to PN and asked my opinion. Providing he wasn't dependent on Webmail, which he isn't, then I find the service is OK.

However, the experience he had in trying to speak to people, being put on hold and general lack of enthusiasm put him off and he cancelled before the install went ahead.

His current provider improved their offer and he stayed.

I feel sympathy for the employees who are limited in what they can do and say and I believe @Kelly does as much as he can to provide feedback and resolve matters.

Inevitably, hands will be tied.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

There are viable alternatives to using the webmail interface which largely speaking function with little discernible issues.

Anyone who believes this is a simple problem to fix clearly has no understanding of operating business systems within the complexity of Multiple layers of virtualised implementations. It could be said that Plusnet are victims of seeking to deliver a service on top of an interlinked multi data centre load balanced network on virtualised servers. In such architectures when something less than blindingly obvious goes wrong, it can take a lot of digging to find the cause after all if the obvious stuff has been addressed. Finding a neadle in a haystack might be a simpler challenge - least one might be able to use a metal detector or a damned big magnet!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kmilburn
Grafter

While there are alternative methods of accessing mail,   Webmail is currently the only way of doing it securely from untrusted connections. 

If SSL or TLS was supported on IMAP and SMTP I'd would install a local client on my mobile, laptop, etc.   But we are now at least 10 years since the issue was first raised on the forums and so far (apart from some limited testing) we're no further to having that supported.