Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: webmail is sooooooooo slooooooow

Hi all,

Disappointing this happened yesterday!  FYI, it was also bad again for a few minutes this morning, but we've got it back under control.  I'm having a look at what happened yesterday as it seems different to the issues we've been dealing with so far.

Just for the avoidance of doubt on here, I'm responsible for the recovery of the mail platform, so feel free to call me out on stuff. 

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
mickledore
Dabbler

Well Kelly, you are just plain wrong. Don't know where you are but up in the frozen north it is no better than it was yesterday. Granted that early morning it was nice and "normal". Now that the world has woken up it is back to yesterday's crawl speed. The only difference is that today it keeps asking me for my password, even though I have this set to be remembered.

So NO. It is not better.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, you're right.  Performance just dropped from about 9:45.  We're looking right now.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
mrob
Grafter

I'm having the same experience as Mickledore and have had problems earlier than 9:45 this morning (in addition to yesterday evening).

Currently my experience is variations on the following :

Not being able to access webmail at all/getting access but taking forever to load and so then being timed out/an assortment of error or failure to connect messages....basically unusable.

I suspect that for as long as this continues we might be back to the previous situation whereby if you're lucky webmail might be properly usable between about 10:30 pm and 7:30 am.

I do hope not but, as per my previous post, based on last time around I have no faith in Plusnet's capacity to deal with this promptly and efficiently.

Plusnet is not the company it used to be a few years back - the company the "cheery chappie" in the adverts would lead you to believe.

Mrob 

mickledore
Dabbler

It all smacks of cost cutting. The system can cope at quiet times, but during the working day volume of traffic overwhelmes the infrastructure.

Not to worry. We all know the bottom line is most important and paying customers can go and stuff themselves...as long as they keep paying us.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Agreed.

I've taken the step of archiving all Plusnet email onto my PC using Thunderbird. If I only have a few emails, then this (nearly) always works, especially if done when most people are sleeping.

Of course, I need to rely on my daily backups to avoid the loss of emails. Lips_are_sealed

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You might like to take a look at http://www.broobles.com/imapsize/ which has a backup option. It will work in parallel with your mail client.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
bazzer
Pro

I do similar to VileReynard and only have a small amount of Webmail at any one time.

My main use of Webmail is to weed out the mails, mostly spam, before downloading the remainder to my PC. I guess this is not the modern way of doing things with cloud technology but it does limit the numbers on PN servers.

Despite my method of working it still creates huge issues when I cannot access email as I often work away.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

8 seconds to log in and populate my 651 message Inbox just now so much better than yesterday for me.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do moderators get first dibs on the meagre resources at PN?

Mav
Fixes: 515

I rarely use webmail but when I had to a couple of days ago it failed to log me in several times then it took ages to populate the list. Once that was done all seemed OK. Just tested it now and it seems to be fast.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine is currently, 14:16, showing me the template page, or whatever it's called, with the Inbox showing there are 11 new emails, but then it just won't deliver them  The box showing 'Loading..' sits there centre top with the 'rising sun' icon revolving, and nothing happens.

mickledore
Dabbler

It has certainly speeded up this afternoon, but is still a long way short of where it should be.

I've just been for a quick pee while it was logging on!!!

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I spoke too soon yesterday.

It's totally ground to a halt this evening! Won't even list the Inbox.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Why is it that when Plusnet post in service status , Its always only affecting a Small number of Customers ?

Is that because only a few post here ? so what about them affected who dont post they must not affected

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .