Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

Anon
Pro

Re: webmail is sooooooooo slooooooow

Back to slow again, thought so

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hmm.  I'm seeing performance as OK right now.  @Anon can you PM me your username so I can check?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

28 seconds to load my Inbox.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Really quick at the moment - though it is 11pm!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

It has actually been better of late Thumbs_Up

But i am NOT going to say its fixed just yet

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
drj
Aspiring Pro

Certainly seems much quicker today for me

Kelly
Hero

It looks like it's generally been ok over the weekend and Monday with the odd short patch of slowness?  Does that match your experiences?

Kelly Dorset
bazzer
Pro

@Kelly I agree with that but again ask when can we safely put this thread to bed and not be concerned with an on / off service?

Kelly
Hero

Once we get to that point, I'll make sure an update is posted about it.   We aren't there yet.

Kelly Dorset
drj
Aspiring Pro

Pretty responsive this evening at 6pm. The only problem I've noticed this evening is the Inbox regeneration being very slow. I wrote a text email (no attachments) and after hitting send it took 32 seconds to list the Inbox. Then I went to Junk which opened quickly (with 5 emails in there) but then after deleting them it took 29 seconds to list my inbox again .

I must clear it out - I presently have 1144 emails in there and am displaying 50 per page.

vanessen
Rising Star

Some months ago I got completely and utterly fed-up with PlusNet and took steps to move away from their webmail service.  This was going to be both myself and my wife.  A complicated move, because we had bought a domain (hosted by another Plusnet company, Just-The-Name, and this was integrated into the Plusnet webmail service.   Then JTN announced that they were going to stop at the end of June - and we have 4 other domains with them, all with associated websites.  So the solution turned out to be

- get the domains hosted elsewhere (we chose Heart Internet as they could handle a .eu domain)

- use an email client to collect all the Plusnet emails, creating a parallel set of folders and also a set of 'locally-stored' folders to keep all the current Plusnet emails on our computers, for as long as we wanted.  We chose Thunderbird.

- set up new email accounts.  I already had a Fastmail account and my wife started one too.  These are not free but do give a fast service, the support is excellent and the available storage is 25GB per account

- then set up the control panels at Heart and Fastmail so that emails and websites at the various domains went to the right places.

We had about a day when changes were 'propagating' and some emails to us were bounced.  Then everything settled and we are now enjoying a fast and trouble-free service.  Examples: it takes less than one second to load a 'Sent' folder with over 10,000 emails.  And of course I'm never worried about exceeding the 1GB limit.

We still have the Plusnet webmail as part of the broadband service, but under 'generic' addresses such as @Username.plus.com.  Even now the service seems very slow, very basic and of course with very low storage limits.  But of course, it is 'free'.

If Plusnet had not made such a hash of trying to mend the broken service, over a period of more than a year, we might still be with their webmail (and still dissatisfied).  This is not an advertisement for Fastmail, just an account of what we had to do to disentangle our emails from Plusnet.  There are alternatives.

- Christopher -

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Sounds like an expensive process, plus additional ongoing costs.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A small price to pay for the making the option of moving his broadband away much easier if the need arises?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi folks!

Not been on line for a bit but things look a lot better today (and it is not a weekend yet) A glimmer?

Cool_smiley

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

it  has been a bit sluggish last couple of days , especially when deleting emails

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .