Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Problems with Webmail

@Anonymous wrote:

@Townman wrote:
What's stopping you using an IMAP email client? Whilst some claim that is not without problems, it's better than Webmail.

Webmail at least uses encryption. imap/pop and smtp used by dedicated clients, do not use any kind of encryption (SSL/TLS) on Plusnet. So mail sent to and from Plusnet via a client is unencrypted. So too are your login details.

That's a much bigger problem itself than the performance on Plusnet's mail servers in general. The following comment from a question posted on the internet sums up the problem well...

Screenshot from 2017-05-22 11-45-45.png

Edit: Your password is also used for your email, website account and router. If you're using an email client to receive or send mail on Plusnet, you're broadcasting those login details, unencrypted and in clear text, to the world. I just checked.

Screenshot from 2017-05-22 11-56-10.png

You wouldn't stand in your back garden and shout your login details to the world. So don't use a dedicated email client until they've enabled encryption.

That is only true if you have not taken the time to set up your email optimally and are only using the default mailbox. If you create separate mailboxes (including one that you can make your default mailbox) they will use separate passwords.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AmigaMan
Rising Star

Service Unavailable. It's back to working in the morning, albeit slowly, but no chance of retrieving emails after about mid day.

AmigaMan
Rising Star

I've not been able to retrieve emails since 9 o'clock this morning. Is it just me with this problem?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Webmail works OK for me and is quite responsive.

Are you by any chance having stale session problems? Have you tried entering just https://webmail.plus.net and loading the page?

David
AmigaMan
Rising Star

Thanks. I got the spinney for about 2 minutes and then it did eventually load emails. I don't know if that was a fluke but at least I can see my emails now. A couple of important ones I needed to answer. This is so frustrating and I really could do without it. Thanks for your reply though.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@spraxyt @AmigaMan HI guys, this is an example where it is working fine for most people, but behaving quite poorly for some others.    

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
vanessen
Rising Star

Anyone else got this problem?  Tried to reply to an email, which asked for some pictures.  Composed the email, then browsed for the first file to attache, selected it, pressed 'upload' and...

...failure message.

Repeated this 3 times more, then with a different file.  No attaching files possible at all.  By the way I was using Squirrelmail, not RoundCube (ie 'basic' not 'advanced') webmail.  It used to work OK.

Gave up, sent attachments without problems from my Fastmail account, having to explain that this wansn't my usua;l address.

This was a past problem, claimed to be solved.  Comments?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

What error message are you seeing? This one?

sm-upload-error.JPG

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

AmigaMan
Rising Star

Kelly said  "@spraxyt @AmigaMan HI guys, this is an example where it is working fine for most people, but behaving quite poorly for some others."

Yes, that's what it's been like for about a year! That's why I've joked before that PlusNet just swap the leads round so everyone gets a chance to download their emails. When it worked fro me others have said it's terrible for them. That's how it's been for a loooooong time.

That's no consolation when, like right at this moment, when I can't retrieve a single email.

stonepicker

My problem with emails is

1. Very - very slow to load emails.

2. Will not send attachments unless I select advanced webmail.

3, Misses lines from the email within the sent box but they appear to have been actually sent and received by recipient

is there anyone out there to help sort these on going annoyances ? 

Anon
Pro

Bob Pullen asked if this was the error message. Now that is a step forward, but from my slow email, guess it means twenty steps back. They will never, never fix it. I don't believe they have the will or the means to do so.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Kelly
Hero

@vanessen wrote:

Anyone else got this problem?  Tried to reply to an email, which asked for some pictures.  Composed the email, then browsed for the first file to attache, selected it, pressed 'upload' and...

...failure message.

Repeated this 3 times more, then with a different file.  No attaching files possible at all.  By the way I was using Squirrelmail, not RoundCube (ie 'basic' not 'advanced') webmail.  It used to work OK.

Gave up, sent attachments without problems from my Fastmail account, having to explain that this wansn't my usua;l address.

This was a past problem, claimed to be solved.  Comments?

When were you having these issues?  Can you remember roughly what time?

Also, are attachments working now?  Or still failing to attach?  Also how big were the attachments?

Kelly Dorset
carterwillow
Hooked

Hi

I haven't been able to use webmail for months !! intermittently would be great from what I can see on the thread. why haven't I been able to use it permanently ?Huh

Kelly
Hero

@carterwillow wrote:

Are you having problems right now?

Kelly Dorset
carterwillow
Hooked

Yes I am