cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Webmail

bazzer
Pro

Re: Problems with Webmail

I really don't want to tempt fate but as per @Richard-261 I have seen a marked improvement in service in Webmail this week.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Please let us know on here if you see anything wrong.

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Moved again so spent last 3 weeks trying to use web mail for the use its intended for, where you cannot install a standalone client as the pc/terminal is locked down eg job center and libraries.  What should take 5minutes to check ends up over an hour of F5ing as it constantly fails to retrieve anything.

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey guys.

We've created a short list of questions for anyone continuing to experience problems webmail.

This should help us with our investigations.

1. How are you trying to obtain your email?

a. Webmail

b. IMAP 

c. POP3 

1. If you've answered IMAP or POP3 to the above question, which mail client are you using?  

a. Outlook

b. Thunderbird

c. Other

1. What device are you using?

a. Phone

b. Tablet

c. PC/Laptop

1. How many devices are you trying on? for example, if it's slow to load on a mobile device, do they you then try to access email through a PC/Laptop at the same time?

5. Are you using your Plusnet connection, or is a 3G/4G connection?

6. Is this browser specific, or does it happen with every browser you try?

7. When did you start to see this issue?

Thanks, much appreciated.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Webmail using crippled stations in job centers/libraries, usually using firefox/chrome

Webmail again at home, testing just now that I have a connection using Waterfox v53 on a laptop.  Still stuck on loading after 5 minutes waiting

vs Using pop3 I rarely have issues using the stand alone opera email client

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Excellent and relevant sig. Smiley

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

1. How are you trying to obtain your email?

a. Webmail

b. IMAP 

c. POP3 

I usually use Webmail at home since it's very nice and simple to use - far nicer than either Gmail or Yahoo Mail. I occasionally download via IMAP to Outlook Express for subsequent archiving (back up to Google cloud) and I occasionally send via Outlook Express.

I use Webmail on my laptop when travelling.

I use Webmail at work since we don't have the ability to use an email client.

I use the native email apps on my Windows Phone and my Samsung Android phone.

1. If you've answered IMAP or POP3 to the above question, which mail client are you using?  

a. Outlook

b. Thunderbird

c. Other

As noted above

1. What device are you using?

a. Phone

b. Tablet

c. PC/Laptop

I use four PC's - XP and W10CU at home, W10AU laptop and W10CU at work.

I use a Nokia 920 phone and have just started using a Samsung S8

1. How many devices are you trying on? for example, if it's slow to load on a mobile device, do they you then try to access email through a PC/Laptop at the same time?

On my Windows Phone it's almost always appeared normal and accessing emails has been no problem at all - I once had an error message. I'm not sure whether syncing has been delayed.

It's on my PCs that the slowness using webmail is experienced.

5. Are you using your Plusnet connection, or is a 3G/4G connection?

My home PCs use my (pretty slow) PlusNet connection - c4Mbps - either wired (XP) or wifi (other two)

My work PC is using Virgin Fibre - c100Mbps - wired. There is not much perceivable speed difference to my home connection

My phones are using wifi or 3G/4G (the latter on the Samsung only and then only occasionally seen).

6. Is this browser specific, or does it happen with every browser you try?

There seems to be no difference between using Firefox or Chrome at home or Firefox, Chrome or IE11 at work. If it's slow on one it'll be slow on another.

7. When did you start to see this issue?

I can't remember - it was at least a year ago I'd think.

The main problem appears to be the Inbox - I can often get into other folders when I can't get the Inbox to load. I do need to weed it out (i.e. archive it) - there's 610 emails in there at present.

I regularly clear out both Deleted Items folders - there are two owing apparently to a quirk in the way the Windows Phone connects.

It's working fine at present...

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@Gandalf if somebody replies with Outlook it may be worth while having a look at The many faces of Microsoft Outlook Laugh

Kelly
Hero

HI all.

We may have had some slow patches over the long weekend looking at our monitoring.   What was the experience like for you lot?  Did you notice anything?

Kelly Dorset
Steve76
Dabbler

Hi,

On Saturday I noticed it was a bit slow for a while. If I remember correctly it was around 12ish but it did start working at a decent speed soon after. Otherwise it has been quite responsive for me.

Smiley

Anon
Pro

This morning, using Windows mail, I got several gmail emails in a flash, whilst Pnet emails took about a minute, very slow in comparison. I have not seen the 'do you want to wait' notice recently. That was a few weeks ago and days went by with nothing.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
bazzer
Pro

@Kelly Nothing of note for me during the weekend, certainly not as previously experienced.

Today is a little slower and I've had a couple of "Server Error" type messages but they have been brief and a further click on the email loads the message.

Over the last 10 days there has been a huge increase in the performance. Long may it last.

drj
Aspiring Pro

I rarely have problems at a weekend - it's usually business hours and into the early evening that it's unresponsive.

drj
Aspiring Pro

For example it's now 17.56 on Tuesday and it's just taken about 32 seconds to delete an email from the reading pane in webmail.

Kelly
Hero

Thanks @drj.  That matches with our monitoring right now.  

Kelly Dorset