Problems with Webmail

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Problems with Webmail

@drj wrote:

IT's the worst it's been for me today - new error messages too

Hi all, 

We've been taking a look at why you got those error messages and we've worked out why.  Has anyone else been seeing them?  Have they cropped up again since?

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Kelly wrote:

@drj wrote:

We've been taking a look at why you got those error messages and we've worked out why.

"You" singular or plural?

Is that PlusNet has identified an issue associated with this specific user?

Or

PlusNet has identified an issue associated with users having a specific user characteristic which this user has?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Townman wrote:

@Kelly wrote:

@drj wrote:

We've been taking a look at why you got those error messages and we've worked out why.

"You" singular or plural?

Is that PlusNet has identified an issue associated with this specific user?

Or

PlusNet has identified an issue associated with users having a specific user characteristic which this user has?

That was a generic problem which any user would have seen at the time.  

Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For me Force9 IMAP access performed very slowly over the last two or three days. It seems back to normal now. This was using third-party email clients, Thunderbird on W10 desktop and standard mail on iPad. I think there might have been one instance of IMAP server not responding during the slow period which worked OK with retry.

During the slow period webmail worked (slowly) but that was late evening (off-peak).

David
bazzer
Pro

@Kelly I have not received the new error messages as recently reported.

However, the main issues, now ongoing for +1 year, still exist. Sometimes the issue isn't as bad but this can change within minutes.

I'll get a good run when webmail loads reasonably quickly but then within a few minutes it can be extremely slow with the word "Refreshing" followed by Server Error (Internal Server Error).

It's doing that now!!

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A third party email client (Thunderbird) works better - pity the password has to be sent in clear text to suit Plusnet.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

bazzer
Pro

@VileReynard Do you mean using Thunderbird to download PN emails? This is what I do for emails that I want to keep.

I use Webmail to view my emails on-line and to delete those I do not want before I download the rest onto my Mac using Thunderbird.

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Kelly wrote:

@drj did it connect fine after retrying?

Apologies for the delayed response - yes, my phone is now working normally. Throughout this whole year + I've had good service there hence the recent surprise when I saw that message. Thanks for resolving.

Webmail's working perfectly for me at the moment - as it generally does during weekends. The main delay issued are much worse Monday - Friday...

colintivy
Rising Star

I have had the annoying experience with an email session with a reputable company over the purchase of a new computer which was faulty. In dispaire I had to resort to composing the texts and sending them around 7am and look at the replies after 7pm! Which is not satisfactory and is a waste of time.

I am only one of the many who do not want to change my address at another ISP because online businesses generally use it for identification purposes. I value the efforts of Forum contributors and do not to leave either.

Knuppel

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What's stopping you using an IMAP email client? Whilst some claim that is not without problems, it's better than Webmail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anon
Pro

What a state of affairs when someone gets attacked for not using an external email. The op expects that Pnet should provide a working decent webmail service, that is what is stopping them.

Absolute disgrace that they are doing nothing to put it right.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Since when has asking a straight forward question been an attack?

It does though seem that some are more interested in finding grounds for complaint here, rather than finding solutions / means to access their emails. Sometimes not looking at alternative solutions is part of the problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Townman wrote:
What's stopping you using an IMAP email client? Whilst some claim that is not without problems, it's better than Webmail.

Webmail at least uses encryption. imap/pop and smtp used by dedicated clients, do not use any kind of encryption (SSL/TLS) on Plusnet. So mail sent to and from Plusnet via a client is unencrypted. So too are your login details.

That's a much bigger problem itself than the performance on Plusnet's mail servers in general. The following comment from a question posted on the internet sums up the problem well...

Screenshot from 2017-05-22 11-45-45.png

Edit: Your password is also used for your email, website account and router. If you're using an email client to receive or send mail on Plusnet, you're broadcasting those login details, unencrypted and in clear text, to the world. I just checked.

Screenshot from 2017-05-22 11-56-10.png

You wouldn't stand in your back garden and shout your login details to the world. So don't use a dedicated email client until they've enabled encryption.

Anon
Pro

@Townman wrote:
Since when has asking a straight forward question been an attack?

It does though seem that some are more interested in finding grounds for complaint here, rather than finding solutions / means to access their emails. Sometimes not looking at alternative solutions is part of the problem.

What business is it of yours what the op chooses to use? That's why it is an attack.

Has the op not got the right to expect that a 'reputable, award winning' (LOL) ISP will actually provide a service in such a way that they can decide to use that service in the way it is offered and expected without having to inconvenience themselves further by HAVING to set up an outside client to do what Pnet is supposed to be?

Perhaps the people who really SHOULD BE INTERESTED IN SOLUTIONS ARE PNET and they clearly do not give a fig and as far as we can tell have not bothered to lift a little finger to change the situation. So if you are interested in solutions get the people who have caused this problem to extract digit from famous place and sort it out, instead of demanding why someone has not inconvenienced themselves to sort out what Pnet should have sorted YEARS ago with a dodgy solution that may not work.

Whatever happens always remember "We will do you
.........................proud" say Pnet.
Richard-261
Grafter

I have to say that my webmail has been perfectly OK for a week now. I've used it to send and receive and even to send attachments. I hope it doesn't revert to the annoying state it was in...

2 strokes good - 4 strokes bad : George Orwell.